New to the game, from NM

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

New to the game, from NM

Old 10-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Spike

Default New to the game, from NM

Hi all!

Name is Andre and have been wanting to get into hunting for all my life but never had a teacher or much drive to get out and learn until now.

Now that I'm getting older (late 30s) I've gotten the itch to hunt pretty bad. I recently bought myself a .308 and am starting to get myself familiar with the rifle. I've also been watching and reading dozens of articles and videos about marksmanship and hunting, learning everything from twist rate and bullet grain to proper hunting practices and field dressing. Despite all that info that I have been feeding myself, I'm sure I've only scratched the surface.

I know all the research is fine and dandy to familiarize myself with the stuff but what matters most is getting out into the world and experiencing it all first-hand. I'm not sure if that opportunity will present itself this season, which to my understanding is already underway, but for now I figured it would be nice to sign up for a forum and start socializing with experienced hunters and dig deeper into the different aspects of hunting.

I look forward to being a part of your forum, learning from all of you, and hopefully be able to pay it forward in the future!
Old 10-25-2018, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

welcome to the site
might help you to list where your from, never know, maybe someone would be wiling to help you learn and or taking you hunting and metor you some and speed the learning curve up
But iof not, its NOT that hard to learn if you desire to do the work to learn
I grew up in a 100% NON hunting home and family, and I am self taught and have hunted all over the place several countries and countless states and been highly successful along the way, all by desire and willingness to do the hard work and pay attention and learn from mistakes
most things you hunt ate simple animals that have tons of information on them, how they live, feed survive, learn the animal and you will learn how to find and hunt them, the challenge comes trying to find them when you WANT to in short seasons or hours to hunt LOL
but keep in mind MOST Hunters are NOT successful every yr, only a small percentage are in the big picture, just cause hunting video's shows, otr forums are filled with successful guys, doesn't mean that's the norm in the world and why its called HUNTING and not shooting! shooting is a very small part of hunting!
Old 10-25-2018, 02:16 PM
Spike

Hi and thanks for the welcome!

I live in Albuquerque, NM. From what I've gathered so far, there is quite a selection of game to hunt here in my state. Of course the novice in me automatically wants to go for big game like elk, but I know that in reality I'm probably going to have better luck with the smaller animals like turkeys. I'm still trying to take in all sorts of info on the different types of smaller game. I still know next to nothing about tracking animals but know that it is a huge part of being successful.

I've been target shooting for a long time, since I was a little kid and my grandfather would let me shoot his .22. I've always enjoyed shooting and I take my wife to the range so we can have fun with our Glock and also rent an AR on occasion. Recently, however, I've just been feeling this strong desire to HUNT. Not just shooting/killing an animal. I desire the whole experience of creeping/stalking animals in the field and harvesting meat. Being able to survive off the land appeals to me in a strange way as I've grown up in an urban setting and getting food and supplies was always just a short trip to the local store. I would love to be able to have a nice freezer full of meat for my family, knowing that I PERSONALLY hunted down and obtained it for them.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

one tip I will suggest when targeting ANY animal is not worry so much about TRACKING Them and learn what the animal EATS, then learn how to find where its most deserable food is in THE area your hunting them in
your local game warden can be a HUGE source of information, IMO it pays to get to know the warden working in your area's you wish to hunt,
be surprised how much GOOD info they can give you, and even possibly help you find a mentor
as after all NO hunters, NO job fort them, SOME will help you MORE Than others, so don't be turned off if one you talk to isn;t so helpful, but MY personal experience is, MOST wardens can be very helpful
NM has a TON of game and places to hunt too, your lucky to live there IMO
but ALL hunting is a SKILL, NO one is born witha ton of any skills, they take time to learn and m hone them!
your desire to learn will determine how far you go in the sport!
Old 10-25-2018, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Some other things to consider on your journey into hunting (it's fun) are to take New Mexico's Hunter safety course and get your hunting license. That way you're ready to hunt as opportunities arise and you can begin making connections with other hunbters and, more importantly, their families who are getting them into hunting. Also consider hunting birds, small game and varmints. Most varmints have a year round season (your state may vary) and thus offer more opportunities. If I read the regs correctly, I believe you're past all of the draw application deadlines for 2018 for big game but 2019 is just around the corner. Hopefully this helps some.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

I say get out and do something, and don't let another year past. Don't get hung up in knowing or even learning. Just get out and try. Whether walking with a shotgun for small game, or sitting on a stump for deer. Unless expensive for you to go, I say get and give it a whirl.

I come from hunting family, but I am also self taught. Lots of years with nothing.

Practicing shooting is great. That can be a hobby in itself. I really enjoy practicing, and going over tables on bullet drop and such. But lots of hunters kill deer with awful skill. Big thing will be how much game you have where you are at. I hunt in snowbelt. I hear the stories of guys seeing bunches of bucks.. But you hunt where you like to some degree. Just get out.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the advice! I am definitely willing to learn. I one of those folks that tends to take things to the extreme when getting into new hobbies and such. I find the act of learning and research to be just as enjoyable as the activity, itself. I am for sure going to take a hunter safety course and get all required permits/licenses before I bring the gun out into the field.

CalHunter mentioned draw applications. Does anyone care to explain what a draw is? I googled hunting draws and it brought up applications but I'm not sure what a draw is. Does that mean that a person applies for a license to hunt certain game but there is a lottery system or something and only a certain number of applicants are granted their licenses?
Old 10-26-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Correct. It depends on the state and even down to the game management units, etc. In CA, some units are very hard to draw and some are just about guaranteed to get drawn. Generally, the trophy units are hard to draw and the non-trophy areas easier to draw. Some other states have some areas where they sell what are called over-the-counter tags (you can buy a tag if you want). Do some internet research on the subject and you'll find lots of articles. Narrow the search to new Mexico and you'll find lots of state specific information. Just briefly checking on the internet, NM seems to allow year round hunting for mountain lions, coyotes and hogs. In CA, we can hunt coyotes and hogs year round but are not allowed to hunt lions at all. Dig a little deeper cause you seem to have some really good hunting opportunities in New Mexico. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Find somebody who hunts where you live and figure out how to tag along (split costs, etc.) Every state has some stuff to hunt and New Mexico looks like it has a lot of cool stuff to hunt. Year round mountain lion would be too much fun.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:55 PM
Spike

Default New Mexico info

One of the best sources of information is the hunting proclomation. It is available for free at every sporting goods store and can be downloaded from the game and fish website. Drawing a tag for big game is a learning experience. To apply, you need to choose an area to apply for. Most of the really good hunting areas are hard to draw a tag. I would suggest you start by scouting different areas that you may be interested in and determine what game unit that is in. I live in Albuquerque and have hunted several different areas. Feel free to contact me.