Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Moving to LA

Old 02-26-2018, 06:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
In general, you'll be around 20 minutes from the Angeles National Forest (ANF) which is just North of you. It's around 700,000 acres or so which leaves you just shy of 1100 square miles of hunting. They don't allow hunting in some experimental forest there (San Dimas I think) but allow hunting in the rest (majority) of the forest. It's currently a lead free zone but so far, lead free rifle ammo is less than $5 a box more. Turkey hunting shotgun ammo is a little more expensive. That should take care of your "day trip" hunting area needs.

If you can make it to the Tejon ranch, you should. I haven't hunted it but have driven past it and looked around on satellite maps. That is some good looking hunting country.

It will be a change for you but also a chance to hunt new areas and maybe use some different tactics. Chances are you'll never hunt through all of the country available but it's a lot of fun trying.
Hi there. Thanks for all the tips, the day of the move is getting closer. I've been doing some research and the hunting looks much better than I thought. I plan on hunting LA National forest which is supposed to be tough, but really not that much harder than the areas I hunt around here. Different tactics though for sure!!!.

I'll also be looking at the military bases for wild pig hunting. First time ever on a pig hunt, so I am pretty excited about that. My grandpa used to hunt pigs, and man they tasted good.

I looked into Tejon ranch and it looks very nice, but quite expensive. Maybe in a few years I'll consider.

I had a few questions. How good is the turkey hunting around south cal - public land? how good is the los padres national forest area? and, how do you go about archery hunting?. The reason I ask about archery hunting is because archery hunting is perfect in VT, being extremely thick forested, most deer will be very close and hunting from a tree stand with a bow is common. But how do you do on open south Ca land with a bow? I know there are some forests, maybe just stick to hunting forested areas with bow?

thanks. Been practicing long range shooting with my 270 lately! getting ready for the west coast. This rifle was overkill for where I hunted in VT. I usually went out with my bow even during rifle season, cause it was so much lighter lol. So definitely excited for getting some juice out of my rifle!

I opened my radius of possible places to hunt and I just learned about BML, lots of public land around 4-8 hr drive from burbank, CA. Pretty exciting.

Last edited by entropy4money; 02-27-2018 at 10:13 AM.