Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
University student in CO wanting to hunt >

University student in CO wanting to hunt

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

University student in CO wanting to hunt

Old 06-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
Default University student in CO wanting to hunt

Hello Everyone, I come with extensive questions about hunting whilst dorming at a university. I will be attending UCCS this August and I plan to go hunting sometime during my off days.

I am from New York and received my hunting license at the age of 14, but only went hunting once and that was turkey (with no luck). We couldn't continue the hobby due to some financial reasons and now the apparent struggle with firearms here.

My question is since I cannot bring my firearms with me to Colorado, is there a place where I can "rent" a gun and hunting gear? Also is it a pain to obtain a hunting license there?

Thanks in advance!
Fai0607 is offline  
Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 468

Here is Colorado website http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/Pages/Hunting.aspx . I buy my license online and you can look up info there. There is plenty of National Forest around Colorado Springs. This isn't the east coast here so make sure your prepared before you think about going into the mountains.
c-rad is offline  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 359

PM with your questions I will be HAPPY to help you out...I live in the Springs as well
RMA is offline  
Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kerrville, Tx. USA
Posts: 2,722

First of all residency requirements. As a student, you can get resident tags HOWEVER, you have to be enrolled in school for 6 months before that takes effect, so if you are still there for the fall of 2014, you would qualify. Here is the actual regs:

Full-time students enrolled and attending an accredited Colorado college,

university or trade school at least six months immediately before applying
for or buying a license. This includes students who are temporarily absent
from Colorado but still enrolled. Colorado residents who attend school full
time, out of state and pay nonresident tuition qualify for a resident license.

Secondly, there might be a gun club or law enforcement agency that would store your guns for you since you can't bring them to campus (heaven forbid in Colorado). Second option is to find someone who lives there to hunt with who will loan you a firearm.

And you need to figure out what you want to hunt. Elk and deer are for most sought after game. Unfortunately as a nonresident, this year the tags will cost you $586 and $354 respectively. What I might suggest would be getting a cow elk @ $354 to get your feet wet IF you have anywhere you can put the meat if successful! Those tags drop to $49, $34, and $49 when you get "resident" status.

And if your only past hunt was a turkey hunt, you really need to find someone who already knows the ropes or a group of guys you can go with until you get things figured out. Networking!!

Good luck!
txhunter58 is offline  
Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PUEBLO, CO, USA
Posts: 636

Contact me by my Hotmail email I can help you probably.
SILVERTIP-CO is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.