Best colorado elk units >

Best colorado elk units

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Best colorado elk units

Old 01-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Spike

Default Best colorado elk units

Have 15 pts for elk in Colorado looking to draw a good unit for bow or muzzleloader, any suggestions?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the best unit in the state is still 201, but 15 points probably will not draw. Unit 61 is second in my book, and 15 points MAY draw. Unit 76 should be able to be drawn with your points, but the chance of finding a monster bull there are slim. A good bull is always possible in 76, but a 300 - 310 bull is considered a bragging bull in 76.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't mean to bust your chops, but i'm curious. Has it taken you 15 years to get those points? You haven't done any research?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

How is it you have that many points and don't have a clue. In 15 years I would know exactly where to be sitting and at what time.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 AM
Spike

Default points

Actually I have done a lot research thought I would be going to the northwest part of the state, area 201but the bar continues to rise so I'm looking at other areas. I also have 9 pts for deer any suggestions there. Same thing point creep has kept me out of the one area I had in mind.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

61 is also good for deer. Colorado is making it very difficult for a non resident to hunt the better units. The best units are almost "once in a lifetime" for a non resident.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's not so easy for residents either.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Typical Buck

I'd go for the unit 76 tag in the special early rifle. You know the one that is before the early rifle season. Limited hunters that already has limited hunters. Right during the rut. You have 15 points and you have the chance to kill a bull 300" or bigger. 76 is adequate for this opportunity. I'm sorry but for those that talk about trophies, unless your paying big bucks every year to hunt some "managed" area talking a 300" bull elk or bigger "every year" is no small challenge and you have to do your home work. Now you have to put in for the draw and find someone nice enough to tell you a good area to go into that unit. Good Luck.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackelk
I'd go for the unit 76 tag in the special early rifle. You know the one that is before the early rifle season. Limited hunters that already has limited hunters. Right during the rut. You have 15 points and you have the chance to kill a bull 300" or bigger. 76 is adequate for this opportunity. I'm sorry but for those that talk about trophies, unless your paying big bucks every year to hunt some "managed" area talking a 300" bull elk or bigger "every year" is no small challenge and you have to do your home work. Now you have to put in for the draw and find someone nice enough to tell you a good area to go into that unit. Good Luck.
I have hunted 76 quite a few times DIY. I used to hunt it every year or at least every other year. Some years I could only draw a cow tag, but that doesn't matter to me. Although I have taken one big 6x6, and three or four smaller 6x6 bulls in unit 76, I am happy with a nice 4x5 or 5x5 in that unit.

The unit has changed a lot over the years. Probably the biggest change was when people started using stinking 4 wheelers in parts of the unit, which made more guys start walking into the restricted areas (where I like to go) to get away from them.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think last year it took 17 pp's for a non-res. to draw 61. I drew 61 last year as a res. with 11 pps. Lots of good elk in that unit, but I think you're still 3, maybe 4 years from getting in 61.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.