Hello? Looking to learn... >

Hello? Looking to learn...

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hello? Looking to learn...

Old 12-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Spike

Default Hello? Looking to learn...

My name is Laura and I live in NW Wyoming. This year I decided to go hunting, I made this decision after tags were put in for and such so I bought a general and 2 reduced price doe/fawn tags. I purchased a nice little .243 from my neighbor and placed a Redfield Revenge 4x12 scope on her. You should know I am a 44 year old woman who knows she is getting older not younger. : )

In part I went hunting this year because a lot of my friends hunt and I thought it would be nice to share that with them. It worked out though that I hunted by myself all season but 2 days and I took my 3 deer by myself. This was both disappointing as well as incredible. I was able to field dress, load and process them by myself (except for hoisting into my tree), I'm pretty proud of my full freezer. What I have discovered though is that I love hunting! I should have known as I am an avid fisher woman. LOL Still, until I took my first shot (which was a miss LOL) I didn't even know if I would be able to pull the trigger...

So here is what I am asking, I want to go elk hunting next year, I hear it taste wonderful!

1) Can I elk hunt alone? If next year is like this one, I will probably have to.

2) Is my .243 enough rifle to get it done if I get to say 150/200 yards?

3) If I do need to buy another rifle, is a .270 enough? I am looking at an older Ruger 77 in .270 w/tang safety but I was also allowed to fire a guys .308 with synthetic stock and bull barrel w/muzzle break at the range and I swear it didn't kick more than my .243. I fired a 30-06 once and it knocked me on my butt and I was scoped b/c the person I was with didn't tell me to back off the scope and I'm considerably older now and just not up for it. I think I can pick up the .270 for $350 w/scope. I will replace the scope with something higher power but I can always trade or sell the other one.

4) Should I start physical training of some kind? I mean, I'm going to have to pack this possibly 600lb. animal out. If so, do any of you have ideas and practices that you use?

5) I also need info. on gear and pack packing and all kinds of things. : )

I know this has been a long post but it is so important for me that I don't wound animals and pay them the respect they deserve and so I ask for help. When I decided to hunt, I went to the range at least twice a week and it paid off, I was able to take three deer with three shots. I thank you in advance for any help or insights you might offer.

Laura
Old 12-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

First congratulations on a first GREAT season! You've accomplished a lot! I am not from teh west, but have some elk experience, so I will take a shot at your questions.....

Originally Posted by Chimp38
1) Can I elk hunt alone? If next year is like this one, I will probably have to.
Of course you can, however, an elk is MUCH larger than a deer, hence much more work after you get one, having packing help is priceless! Plus with elk, you can call them, and again, a partner is helpfull here.

2) Is my .243 enough rifle to get it done if I get to say 150/200 yards?
I'll leave this to the more ballistically knowledgable, but my guess is no, not really enough power.

3) If I do need to buy another rifle, is a .270 enough? I am looking at an older Ruger 77 in .270 w/tang safety but I was also allowed to fire a guys .308 with synthetic stock and bull barrel w/muzzle break at the range and I swear it didn't kick more than my .243. I fired a 30-06 once and it knocked me on my butt and I was scoped b/c the person I was with didn't tell me to back off the scope and I'm considerably older now and just not up for it. I think I can pick up the .270 for $350 w/scope. I will replace the scope with something higher power but I can always trade or sell the other one.
Part of the felt recoil is how the gun fits you. For example, I have two .30-06's, one a semi-automatic, kicks pretty good. Another, a bolt, but with a nice recoil pad that fits me nicely, has hardly any felt recoil. On paper the semi should kick less, but it doesn't. a .308 and .30-06 should be about the same kick on equivalent guns.

Many elk have fallen to a .270, and it will work nicely.

4) Should I start physical training of some kind? I mean, I'm going to have to pack this possibly 600lb. animal out. If so, do any of you have ideas and practices that you use?
Not sure of techniques you used for deer, but elk are usually "go find them" hunts. You can post up on wallows and trails, but in general they are go hike until you find them animals. Packing, yes, you will need to carry it out, but if 600 lbs is the animal that's not what you pack out. However, you will have to pack out in several trips (here's where friends help)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

shot placement is everything. so yes yer 243 will work fine if your a good shot.
the brake on the other gun is what takes the kick away. you can have one added to any gun when ever ya want.
as mentioned it wont be 600 pounds of meat. a good atv can help with this if ya had one. they make some pretty cool compact sleds ya drag behind you when ya fold it out, and it beats putting it all on your back and hiking it out multiple times.
as far as physical capabilities, only you will know. sounds like you will be fine from reading your post.
just gut it in the field. leaves alot of weight.
some people quarter em up to fit everything on the sled better. i believe in cutting em up after the rigor lets go. to each their own.
fyi might be a good idea to hunt up hill, easier to drag em down hill
gl
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

I hunt Elk Every year and to me a 270 is perfect but a 243 is a bit small IMO saying that there are many elk that have been Killed even with a 30-30 so you choose for me its a matter of shot placement and knock down i want the job done and over hence i use a 7mm you can purchase a limbsaver recoil pad and that will take a fair amount of the recoil out they say up to 50% . I use them on all my guns and love them for a lady i have seen sever ladies kill big elk with a 260 or a 7mm- 08 both of which have a lighter recoil then a 270 and yes get physically in shape it will make your hunt much more enjoyable if and when i get animals way back in the boonies i debone the intire animal that saves me about 200 Lbs of weight i now dont have to deal with if im close i Use ropes or a ROKON both have there benifits Hope this helps any more ?'s pm me im glad to help
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Spike

Default Wyoming again...

I want to thank you all for your responses! I decided to go the middle road and bought the Ruger .270 today! I think I got a good deal too, I paid $375 for the rifle with an old 3x9 scope on her. The older gent I bought her from said he has taken 6 elk with her so I guess if I can't get one it is on me! LOL

I took her out to the range and she is a straight shooter. I sighted her at 2" high at 100 yards. That should mean I can hit anything from 100 to 300 w/o much adjustment if any right? Let's talk rounds for elk! I used 130 grains at the range today and I'm wondering if that will work in the field or if I need to beef it up. I've also been reading about something called partition rounds. My understanding is that the bullet casing is made of different metals so it kind of comes apart once it impacts, is that correct?

Even though my hunting season is over for this year I kinda feel like it isn't because I will go to the range to practice shooting and I'll be working out with images of deer and elk dancing in my head. I'll start researching sleds, that is a very good idea. I have no horses or 4 wheelers so it will just be good old sturdy me.

Again, thank you so very much for responding!

Laura
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Cool

Kid, I'd seriously look for a partner on Elk hunting. Also, I'd explore the posibility of horses to pack out...rental or otherwise!
Dan
Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

The .243 for elk is for a more experienced hunter. It take perfect shot placement. The fact that you missed your first shot worries me.

The .270 is a better choice, but recoil is very close to the 30-06 you didn't like.

The 7mm-08 might be better for you, but you need good shot placement. Take a good double lung shot, and pass up all other shots.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Spike

Muley Hunter, It was my first shot ever in the field and not at the range on a rest. I took the shot using a fence post that was too tall. I did not miss again for the season. I took all three deer with one shot each, one at 250-300 yards. All of them just fell over and when field dressed, 1 was a double lung shot, another was a neck shot that busted the asophogus and the last one hit the lung and heart. All the deer just fell over and didn't move. I'm a good shot. I bought the .270 yesterday and took it out to the range and put 4 shots in a 1" circle. I think with the right bullet I will put an elk down. I'm most concerned with the logistics of hunting elk and packing them out.

LongKnife12, I will check into friends with horses or 4-wheelers. It has been years since I have been on a horse though and I've only riden a 4-wheeler once... funny considering I ride motorcycle. : )

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Chimp38; 12-13-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Good work!! I will be hunting deer, antelope and hopefully elk in WY next year (I live in Fort Collins). If you need any help, let me know!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Spike

DJfan, Do you know where you will be elk hunting yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.