Cougar Hunting >

Cougar Hunting

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Cougar Hunting

Old 05-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Spike

Default Cougar Hunting

I am looking to hunt cougar also know as mountain lion.
I have never hunted cougar before, and i am looking for someone to show me the ropes..
I am a very ethical hunter and respect mother nature and everything that she provides..
Have a great day.
-Dylan
Old 07-08-2011, 01:56 AM
Spike

When it comes to stalking and evasion, cougars are geniuses. Bears and wolves are probably easier to hunt than cougars. The easiest way to hunt them is with traps or dogs, neither of which are all that ethical.

Anyways down to my advice. You'll want to be 'invisible' for this. Don't use any conditioners or smelly soaps when showering beforehand, rub pine needles/native vegitation all over your clothing til you reek of it, wear plenty of camo, no smoking. First you have to be lucky enough to find a cougar track. Move slowly and stay low/in cover, and try to stay downwind of where you think the cougar is. Try to get an experienced tracker or guide to go with you, as you'll want a partner anyways. Have a high caliber pistol around just in case (like .44 or .357). Cougars aren't particularly aggressive (unless wounded), but they are damn smart and there's a chance you won't see it til you're only a couple meters away. There's a chance that when you do find it, it will already know you're there and is in fact stalking you.

Don't feel bad if you don't get a clean kill shot, but you'll want to kill it as fast as possible. Cougars are made of %50 muscle, %20 adrenaline, %5 genius, %15 evil, and %10 holocaust. They are the serial killers of the woods, and aren't particularly safe to hunt when wounded.

Then you can eat it's heart and stuff.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:09 AM
Spike

Pay for a guided hunt for your first lion hunt.

Pay attention to the type of territory you find the lion in. There are basically two ways to find lions, besides chance, one is with dogs and the other is by calling. Calling tends to bring in a lot of other game and while it may not produce a lion may give you the opportunity to take other game as well.

As for dogs and ethics, I wouldn't say it's unethical until you've tried it. It will be one of the hardest things you will ever do, I can guarantee that.

Biker
Old 07-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

if you are looking for a guided hunt PM me for details.
Thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Hope you're in good shape, chasin toms through the Rockies is TOUGH and you might cover double digit miles in some situations!!!

I elk hunted with this guy and he's well respected across the board but hunting cats is his favorite thing: http://www.nmtrophyhunts.com/hunting...-hunting.shtml

Hunting is all he does, he was born and raised out there. NM, AZ and the Sonoran Desert area of MX are his specialties. Good luck!!!