Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Any recommendations for antelope? >

Any recommendations for antelope?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Any recommendations for antelope?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default Any recommendations for antelope?

I am looking for a private ranch hunt for lopes in Wy for next seson. I am taking my 12 yr old son on his first hunt out West and wanted to do a DIY and pay an access fee. I have done this hunt before but my contact no longer does the access fee trespass hunt. Not looking for trophy lopers just a good area with good numbers. I would go public land route but without pref points and the fact that his birthday is right before the deadline we didn't have anytime to accumulate points.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

If you've got your heart set on a DYI hunt contact the Wyoming Game and Fish Dept in Cheyenne. They have a list of land owners who will allow hunters. Then just find one in the area you want to hunt. Be sure to call them first and ask about dates, rules and such.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

apply as a group in NM? If you draw the tag together you'll both have a tag and automatically get put on a private ranch...case solved, and you'll be chasing booners possibly.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
apply as a group in NM? If you draw the tag together you'll both have a tag and automatically get put on a private ranch...case solved, and you'll be chasing booners possibly.

I went on NM site but didn't see anyplace to apply as a party.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NJheadhunter71
I went on NM site but didn't see anyplace to apply as a party.
It's not too hard to figure out, just figure out what units/seasons you want to apply for, then apply....at some point it will ask you if you're the group member, or group leader.

If it's just you and your son, obviously you'll be the leader I'd assume, apply as the group leader, at the end they give you a group #.... then when your son applies, he'll click on group member and put in that same #....and you'll be applied as a group...

I think I read they may be changing this system, or maybe just that it was slightly confusing, either way, it's not too hard to figure out once you goto apply it'll probably spell itself out for you when you actually apply.

Hope this helps.

Btw I believe the entire state's antelope tags are basically divided up into 3 regions. There are some special handicap seasons, etc..., and maybe some special youth tags, which may be much better odds, however I don't qualify for any of those, so I'm limited to the 3 regional tags, and I think you can apply for all 3 so you might as well apply for all 3 zones, just figure out which zone is your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice...they're all great from my understanding. I think some have a 2 day season, some maybe a 3day season, which you may prefer for a father/son hunt and trying to get 2 for 2. Good luck!

Last edited by salukipv1; 02-28-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

In NE Wyoming if you look at area 7, 23, & 24 I believe. They are all north of HWY 450. They have better drawing odds and have public land on them. There are also some ranches that charge tresspass fees out there.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

It's not too hard to figure out, just figure out what units/seasons you want to apply for, then apply....at some point it will ask you if you're the group member, or group leader.

If it's just you and your son, obviously you'll be the leader I'd assume, apply as the group leader, at the end they give you a group #.... then when your son applies, he'll click on group member and put in that same #....and you'll be applied as a group...

I think I read they may be changing this system, or maybe just that it was slightly confusing, either way, it's not too hard to figure out once you goto apply it'll probably spell itself out for you when you actually apply.

Hope this helps.

Btw I believe the entire state's antelope tags are basically divided up into 3 regions. There are some special handicap seasons, etc..., and maybe some special youth tags, which may be much better odds, however I don't qualify for any of those, so I'm limited to the 3 regional tags, and I think you can apply for all 3 so you might as well apply for all 3 zones, just figure out which zone is your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice...they're all great from my understanding. I think some have a 2 day season, some maybe a 3day season, which you may prefer for a father/son hunt and trying to get 2 for 2. Good luck!
Thanks for all the info gentlemen. My son is handicapped and I may just call either Wy or NM. I didn't want to go this route but if there is a preference toward kids with disabilities I will use it for his hunt. I don't know if it will include me or not being he is only going to be 12 but I don't care as long as he has good memories of his first Western hunt.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NJheadhunter71
Thanks for all the info gentlemen. My son is handicapped and I may just call either Wy or NM. I didn't want to go this route but if there is a preference toward kids with disabilities I will use it for his hunt. I don't know if it will include me or not being he is only going to be 12 but I don't care as long as he has good memories of his first Western hunt.
I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure NM has some great mobility impaired hunts, check into this! may be able to hunt a great unit etc...at great odds.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

checked it out... NM has both youth hunts, and mobility impaired hunts.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

checked it out... NM has both youth hunts, and mobility impaired hunts.
I am going to check it out.

Thanks a ton for the help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.