Backcountry Elk Hunting >

Backcountry Elk Hunting

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Backcountry Elk Hunting

Old 09-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-18-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ron Duval
My buddy is very experienced, but we had very unseasonable weather that week. It hit 80 during the day on that hunt. He shot early in the morning far away from timber and the meat never cooled properly. The only way to get it cooled was to get it to ice.
Saying that my buddy didn't know what he was doing is making too many assumptions and is offensive.
Sorry if I sounded offensive. My first priority is to cool the meat. Skin, debone, bag in mesh bags and get it hauled down to a creek. Logs are placed over the creek and the meat layed on the logs, even in 80 degree heat a shaded spot above the creek will preserve the meat. We have taken three days to get meat out w/o losing a single cut. Also, putting pepper on meat will keep the flys off it. If your buddy shot a bull in an area where the only way to cool it was to get it out to ice, why did he shoot it to begin with? I understand losing meat to predators and there is not a lot you can do about that, but letting it rot in the hot sun seems irresponsible to me.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-18-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ron Duval
There you go again, implying an irresponsible act. You were not there and do not know the circumstances, so back off on the judgements. Both my buddy and I have taken more bull elk than you have had birthdays, and this is the only time we had meat loss. My original comment was made to help a new backpack hunter from having to deal with a sad affair like this. This was an unfortunate and completely unexpected situation that I don't feel compelled to explain further.
Ok, well if what you say is true, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Bad things sometimes happen to good hunters, it is an imperfect world. You are correct that your advice is beneficial to a new back country hunter. I have gotten into holes where I wouldn't shot if I had a big bull in my lap, as I new I could never get it out. A relatively new back country hunter could get caught in the moment and shot an animal with no way to get it out. The thing is, back pack hunting gets you unto animals and in areas that are a dream, if you work for it, you can have a great hunt. However, just because you are packing it on your back, doesn't necessarily mean you can get it to a creek to cool in the necessary time, or even get it out of the woods.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-18-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by buffhntr
Idaho in the frank church wilderness area
i live here in emmett.. I've seen a lot of huge bulls in the frank church area. Also monster muleys. I would highly advise going in by horse though. its tough country back there
Old 11-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're going to need at least a couple trips in if you don't have gear drop-camped. I just returned from a trip backpacking in MT and for two of us to go in for 3 days with everything we needed to camp, hunt, and responsibly process a bull was quite a bit of weight. Granted we were going in Nov so we had extra gear I would not take on a Sept hunt (got VERY cold on us).

For certain, get the lightest tent/stove etc you can, you WILL notice ounces pretty quickly.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here, this may help.

http://elkcrazyoutdoors.com/home/pack_list

I can do 7 days with a 42 lb pack including food and essentials. If I were to add in enough food for another 6 days a 1.5 lbs per day that would equal 49.5 lbs. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

The longest that I have spent is 18 days, but that trip did require advance placement of food and others prior to the season.

Muley brings up a great point, in early season elk hunting haste makes waste. Have a good plan before you go.

Before heading into the Church you might want to call the biologists at the Boise office to see how the elk vs. wolf population is in that area.....good luck and take care of your feet!
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Spike

good point elkcrazy8, also might check on the fires. I just came out of a hunt in the gospel hump area, and between the fires and the wolves it was slim pickens. I did see a wolf, but 4 days of hunting no elk. We use to pass on smaller bulls everyday in this area, just not the same anymore. If you have to do a backpack hunt. check with Arnold avaition in Cascade and see about a flyin camp.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Spike

I'm "packing" for our trip also....... But NOT for a backpacking hunt. 5 hunters for 14 days, or as long as it takes!!!!! This will be our 4th trip with the same bunch. 2 of the hunters are AARP-farts and the other 3 are worker-bees who would "drop a quarter in a phone" in a heartbeat. Going to the Havre, Montana area and have tags for deer (whiteys & muleys) and elk. Hunting on both public and private land, have friends who own/lease a LOT of land. Some of the land is further West and in better elk territory. We're really "ruffing it" with a 40' Beaver DP RV followed by (IF they can keep up) a Ford Diesel F350DRW bumper pulling a 20' enclosed with gear and Gator/ATV's........ Extra generator and 2 chest freezers. I am the House Mouse (with limited hunting), Kamp Kook, Boss Butcherer, and Recon Man. HEAD "EM UP, MOVE 'EM OUT.........MONTANA HERE WE COME !!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.