HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Backcountry Elk Hunting
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Muley669
Banned

Originally Posted by Ron Duval
There you go again, implying an irresponsible act. You were not there and do not know the circumstances, so back off on the judgements. Both my buddy and I have taken more bull elk than you have had birthdays, and this is the only time we had meat loss. My original comment was made to help a new backpack hunter from having to deal with a sad affair like this. This was an unfortunate and completely unexpected situation that I don't feel compelled to explain further.
Ok, well if what you say is true, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Bad things sometimes happen to good hunters, it is an imperfect world. You are correct that your advice is beneficial to a new back country hunter. I have gotten into holes where I wouldn't shot if I had a big bull in my lap, as I new I could never get it out. A relatively new back country hunter could get caught in the moment and shot an animal with no way to get it out. The thing is, back pack hunting gets you unto animals and in areas that are a dream, if you work for it, you can have a great hunt. However, just because you are packing it on your back, doesn't necessarily mean you can get it to a creek to cool in the necessary time, or even get it out of the woods.