Gunnison County, CO >

Gunnison County, CO

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Gunnison County, CO

Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gunnison County, CO

Would a May DIY turkey hunt in Gunnison County, CO, be worth the trip? I have free board at a cabin, and am trying to figure out when to take it. Thanks.

Last edited by newton29; 08-12-2009 at 03:59 PM. Reason: please delete
Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

I have hunted Gunny for a few years and never saw a turkey. I know just east is said to have a good pop but you may be better served in another area for the big bird. Get an elk tag...
Old 08-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

Grew up in Gunnison area. If they aren't on the cabin property or close-by and you have to find them the hunting is going to be tough to say the least. The area is huge and winters can hammer the small supply of turkey that are in the area.If you are hunting in the lower part of the valley you will do better IMO. Getting permission to hunt is rough. I agree with the Camel looks like elk might be a good bet this year.

Goatslayer........
Old 08-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Typical Buck

We have spent a LOT if time up there and recall few turkeys. We drew mulie buck and either sex elk tags this fall for rifle season and with all the rain COlo has had it otto be agreat yr for fat venison. Most turkeys we see and hunt after are in 69, 86
Old 08-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the CO website and saw a whopping 14 turkeys checked in the county in 2008. That, along with your replies, answers my question.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Everybody should be jealous of the Buck tag for that area!! I would say good luck but don't think you need all of that.