Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Hawaii (Oahu) Pig Hunting??? >

Hawaii (Oahu) Pig Hunting???

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Hawaii (Oahu) Pig Hunting???

Old 02-14-2009, 07:43 PM

Default Hawaii (Oahu) Pig Hunting???

I have the chance to go to Oahu to hunt boar...I need Hawaii information. I know you need a Hunter's Ed card, that is simple. The guy I know lives in a gaited community that is being destroyed by pigs... I know that pigs are considered game animals in Hawaii and that most areas seem to have a *one per day* limit. Some areas allow hunting year round. Looking at the Hawaii F & G site I could not find a specific Game Management Unit for the area I would be in. The place my friend has is on over two acres with direct access to the wilderness. Does anyone know where I can find out more information on hunting it what most likely is considered a residential area? I cna not find an Email addy for F & G, but I do see a phone number (which I can call on Monday). Any insight is appreciated...Oh, this would be an archery hunt for me
Old 02-15-2009, 10:47 AM

Default RE: Hawaii (Oahu) Pig Hunting???

Here on Maui the only way you can take animals in an area that is not designated for hunting is with a special "damage control" permit that is issued by the state of hawaii. These permits are only issued after a sight inspection for damage is done by an inspector. If the permit is issued only the people listed on the permit are able to do the damage control hunts. If it is in a residential area like you say, I don't think he can get a permit. I may be wrong and he can check with the person in charge of his gated community, they may be able to aquire the permits if the community is in agreement. Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Axis
Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the response. I saw there was a special needs permit last year in a park just outside of Honolulu that is not that far from where this guy lives. I found an Email addy for DLNR in Hawaii and will be asking them questions as well.

I have not been to this guy's place, but I guess he has at least two acres, and they open up to the mountains/Forrest off the back end of his property. It is my understanding that the pigs are actually destroying thousands of dollars worth of landscaping throughout the gated community on a regular basis. Do you know, can a gated community ask for a *damage control* permit? If so, I would love to go *help* this guy out of his problem. My guess is that the meat should been excellent...any idea on the quality of meat on Oahu pigs???
Old 02-16-2009, 09:41 AM

I am not to sure if they will issue the permits for landscape damages but I would think they would. The golf course in Makena has a big problem with Axis Deer and Pigs tearing up the greens on the course. They got permits and I know two of the "shooters" on the list. They do all of thier damage control after 9:00pm and can only use a .22 Mag. because the course is by the hotel.

In regards to the question on the quality of the meat of the pigs on Oahu, I would guess its the same as here on Maui. It all depends on what they are eating, if they are eating Guava and fern shoots, the meat is great! But if they are scavenging and eating other dead animals, the meat may not be so good. I normally will not shoot pigs unless someone has asked for the meat or unless it is a trophy sized animal. I will always take all of the meat and give it to someone who wants it. I don't eat pork because I have gout. Let me know how it turns out.

Axis