Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Garden Valley ID >

Garden Valley ID

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Garden Valley ID

Old 03-04-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Garden Valley ID

I will be bowhunting ELK with an outfitter near Garden Valley ID, about a three hour pack into camp.
How is the area for Elk, what is the terrain and type of growth/cover. What type of camo would you recommend?
I usually hunt in the Flat Top Wilderness area of CO. White River National Forest. Mostly black timber and some very steep climbs. Anybody have any knowledge of the area near Garden Valley?
Old 03-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Garden Valley ID

I live a hair over an hour away from Garden Valley, I hunted there once years ago. There was a lot of game there at the time. Since then I' ve found other spots I like better. That area burned up pretty good a few years back, but I' m sure it' s still holds elk. If you' re packing in I' m sure you' ll get into plenty of elk, especially getting away from other hunters. The country has its steep areas but nothing a man can' t overcome. There' s also some mild country there once you get up high, it' s not a real brushy area so you should be able to get around pretty good, allin all I think you' ll enjoy the country.

As far as your camo goes, what you' re wearing when you took your antelope will work fine.(Your hunting picture) Camo isn' t as important as not moving when a bull is being called in. As the shooter, setup next to a tree or in front of it, but never behind it or any type of cover.

If you' d like to see what the country looks like, click on (my site) at bottom of post and look at both photo gallerys, that should give you a good idea. If you have any other questions you can email me from my site. elknut1

Old 03-05-2003, 08:30 AM

Elknut hit it pretty well.
As he said the country in his photos is real close to the country in and around Garden Valley.
I live in Boise about 1 hour S of Garden Valley. I have hunted a lot of that country.
If you want to e-mail me at [email protected] and give me the name of the outfitter and general area he said you will be hunting I can give you more exact info.
Also what dates are you going to be here?
If it is Deadwood Outfitters I work with a guy who used to guide for them.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:11 AM

Thank you Elknut1 and Noway. I appreciate the info. I did not draw in WY so my outfitter set me up here for this year. Im looking forward to the hunt.