Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Alaska Thread >

Alaska Thread

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaska Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 05:47 PM

Default RE: Alaska Thread

ABM - Glad to hear the halibut is so good. We are really fussy with our handling of them and I'd like to think it pays off in flavor and quality! With our smaller-sized fishing platform, it can get pretty crowded in a hurry with any luck on the flat ones, but I am hoping to have a larger version for this coming fishing season and have an easier time keeping the catch cool and protected.

Nim - Sounds like you were lucky the other driver got past you before he started his loop-dee-loop activity. Was he a little sheepish when you came back and pulled him out? LOL

As for favorite game meat - I agree that "variety" is best. I don't expect to be gimping up the hill and shooting any sheep in what's left of my lifetime - so I will have to do a trade with someone to accomplish a taste-test on them. Its been years since I had any kind of wild sheep in the skillet, but I do remember that I liked it! Tonight we are grilling some venison steaks and I have my face all set for it. . . .
Old 01-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

phish-on - actually the guy never got by me. i was watching him in my mirror and increased my speed so he would stay behind me. he was not sheepish i'm not even sure he realized i was the guy he tried to pass.....he was great fully and tried to give me what looked like two twenties but i just can't take money from folks like that. i just hope others will return the favor and stop to pull me out if i ever need it.

3 daughters- congrats on the moose that ft rich hunt is a great ace in the hole to put moose meat on the table. i will send you an email and we can try to hook up. i have 12 3-d targets at the house if you want to come shot some time....good exercise this time of year. a few years ago (12-98) i shot a 49-3/4 inch bull on second day of the season my biggest moose so far.
later - pat
Old 01-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Typical Buck

WELL I GOT A SHEEP TAG, ANYBODY ELSE?[8D]
IBWHNT AND I DREW EWE SHEEP TAGS IN UNIT 111- PAT
Old 01-29-2004, 11:32 AM

Two of my co-workers drew a tag as a party....

Have you talked to SeAk about our week-o-fun with the kids? You should!
Old 01-31-2004, 12:46 AM

Nim - Congratulations on the draw! Is this a string and sticks tag or more modern methods? << grin >>
Old 01-31-2004, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

JUNO GRL- SEAK SENT ME SOME PICTURES SOUNDED LIKE ALOT OF FUN [&:]KINDA LOOKED COLD...[:'(][]HOW FAR WAS THE BOAT RIDE AND WHAT DID YOU GUYS COVER UPWITH TO KEEP WARM?
PHISH-ON- WELL IT IS ANY WEAPON TAG BUT I DOUBT I WILL BE SMART ENOUGH TO BRING A SMOKING STICK. IBWHNT SAYS HE IS DRAGGING BOTH HIS BOW AND RIFLE. [X(]
Old 01-31-2004, 10:08 PM

Hi Nim--it was cold and wet! How to keep warm--well, layer upon layer upon layer...an, um, as Jerry should know now, NO COTTON! SeAk got clever with my feet, which are notorious for getting cold, and put hand warmers in my boots...helped a bit! The boat ride was about 40 minutes, which was especially fun if I was driving! Unfortunately, my achilles wouldn't let me stand too long if it was bumpy, but I'm healing, so each time should be better! By the way, I went to archery when Tom was here, and again this week with my dad....who called Tom to tell him that it wasn't fair that I had a better group than he did (just that round...) on my second time shooting when he's been shooting for 8 years or so. I consoled him with the fact that I was shooting a compound and he was shooting a traditional bow...he was slightly mollified. I was going to go this morning, but woke up with the worst head cold I've had in years...
Old 02-01-2004, 12:10 AM
Typical Buck

JUNO GRL- SORRY TO ABOUT YOUR COLD, ZICAM CAN BE HELPFUL IF YOU START USING IT SOON ENOUGH. GREAT THAT YOU ARE SHOOTING KEEP OUT SHOOTING YOUR DAD HE WILL ENJOY PRACTICING TO BE ABLE TO OUT SHOT YOU. GET WELL AND HEAL THAT FOOT. - PAT
Old 02-11-2004, 10:15 PM

Hey all,

Hope everything has been going well for you this winter. I have a question for you all. more so for the SE and SC folks... I finally have permission from the wife to come back up to AK for a hunt. So, I decided on a spring black bear hunt ('05 -- not this spring, unfortunately). I have a buddy in Anchorage with a boat that we took out of Whittier two years ago. He is not sure if he can do it (being this far out, understandable). If I needed to rent a boat either in Whittier or out of SE, like Juneau, are there places that rent boats? I have seen numerous outfitters, but can't seem to find a straight boat rental place.

If you have any info, let me know. Even if I have to book it w/out knowing about my buddy, I'd prefer to get everything in order (I am a bit of a planning freak).

thanks,

Brian
Old 02-14-2004, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Brian,

How does a 32ft live aboard sound to you? Help pitch in for gas and food and I know he'll go. He's week on week off and itching for someone to go out with come springtime.

Ya got my email. I am planning on a 6 day deal over there this spring. Our numbers still havent changed if you still have them.

Dan

Quick Reply: Alaska Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.