Alaska Thread >

Alaska Thread

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Alaska Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Alaska Thread

Sounds good, I'll talk to the tanneries in Alaska and see what kind of price to tan that thing with the hide off. I found one and it was about $60 more to tan with hide off than hide on. I think I might be able to swing a deal with the guy in Fairbanks, but his turn around is quite a bit slower than what I would like. I sent an e-mail off to Alpha Fur Dressers in Anchorage, so hopefully we'll get a good deal there.

Sorry to hear your buddy left for a couple of weeks, but I'm sure you guys will have a great time when he comes home. Should be fun out trapping, did he get out deer hunting with the guys while he was at home? How's the ankle doing, ready to chase down bears with it yet?

I'll try and give you a call in the next week or so. Nothing that can't wait for a few days, besides, we've got family from Alaska here, and more from Colorado on route that should be here in the morning. Gonna be a packed house for a while.

It snowed here in Vegas last night so we made a snow man this morning. It was a little taller than Amber, and lasted about an hour after we left it. The neighborhood kids must of thought it was a punching and kicking bag, we watched as they destroyed it. Nothing is sacred anymore.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:47 AM

Yeah, first day gone is a little lonely, but he will be back in a couple weeks and the kids will be here for a week--can't wait!

Sounds good on the hide. Is the guy in Fbks the same one who has had the foxes for more than a year? Sheesh!
Old 12-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

ABM- JUST SHAVE THE HAIR OFF THE HIDE AND SAVE THE HAIR THEN JUST THROW THE HIDE AWAY. WOULD BE ALOT CHEAPER. WOULD THAT BE THE SAME AS TANNING WITH "HIDE" OFF?[][>:]

CHECK THIS OUT BIG DUNKIN' TOOK THIS PICTURE TODAY AT THE FACILITY. " SNOW BLANKET"

Old 01-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You know what I meant old guy! I intended to say fur off, not hide off... doh!

What's up with that snow blanket? Looks like something you would see in the floor of a shopping mall around the santa and christmas tree area. Looks pretty cool whatever it is.

SEAK told me that junogrl got a good laugh out of the "hide" comment too, glad everybody is having fun at my expense.

We went out on the strip last night with about 350,000+ other folks. What a crazy night! Saw all sorts of sites, some good, some interesting to say the least. We got separated in the crowds about half an hour to midnight, and couldn't get signals on the phones, so I wasn't with my wife when the clock struck 12. Saw her about 5 minutes later though as she wasn't 30 yards from us, but there was no way to see that far through people. Pretty cool firewords display at midnight, they said it cost in excess of half a million! Today has been recovery day after pounding down a few yards of alcohol last night. Hope you all had fun!
Old 01-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

THE SNOW BLANKET WAS VERY FRAGILE AND WOULD FALL APART IF TOUCHED. HOW IT GOT CURLED LIKE THAT IS A MYSTERY TO ME
HERE IS ANOTHER PICTURE...NO FLASH

Old 01-08-2004, 10:56 PM

Boy, I know its been cold outside, but it looks like even the Alaska Thread has frozen-up! It must be everyone is either working pretty hard or [heaven forbid] they ran out of stories to tell!

ABM - We have really been enjoying the 'bou meat! We put together an Italian casserole out of some of the ground meat last weekend that had our guests raving. My wife is a "convert" - she hasn't come right out and told me to give my local venison away, but she has asked a couple of times what I'd have to do to go collect some 'bou of my own. Naturally, I said, "Why? All I have to do is keep catching flatties - Jerry takes care of the rest!" There are sure no complaints on this end!
Old 01-09-2004, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

BOU MEAT IS GOOD IF NOT RUTTY BUT DEER MEAT IS BETTER BUT VARIETY IS BEST. WE LIKE MOOSE MEAT BETTER THAN 'BOU ALSO BUT I THINK DEER IS BETTER. DALL SHEEP IS THE BEST OF THE 4 TYPES.

NOT MUCH HAPPENING HERE HAD A GUY BEHIND BE AS I WAS TURNING INTO MY ROAD GET IMPATIENT AND TRIED TO MOVE INTO OTHER LANE LOSE CONTROL AND FISH TAILED AROUND FOR A WHILE THEN DID NEARLY A 360 AND CROSSED OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE AND BURIED HIS CAR IN THE DITCH. I WENT HOME AND GOT A CHAIN AND PULLED HIM OUT.

COUPLE INCHES OF SNOW LAST NIGHT AND HAD COW AND CALF RIGHT NEXT TO THE HOUSE AT 3AM GETTING THE DOGS ALL FIRED UP. WITH THE FULL MOON I COULD SEE THEM REAL WELL
Old 01-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a tad over my 4 weeks off, been real nice! Had a blast on Las Vegas Blvd for New Years. Saw all sorts of sites, got lots of pictures. I updated my webshots account with 31 pictures off the video I took. People must of thought I was working with the camcorder that night as they all acted as goofy, and as naked as possible, in front of it. My brother and cousin drove in from Colorado, and the inlaws were here to take the kid for the night. We got a few inches of snow down here before New Years as well, so we made a snow man in the front yard.

We are headed off to Arizona in about half an hour, gonna go see some other grandparents north of Phoenix, then go up to the Grand Canyon on Sunday, then back home.

Phish, we made up some beer battered halibut a few nights ago. Man is that stuff good! It was nice having halibut that was taken care of once it was out of the water. It really makes a difference when it heads to the table! Glad you are enjoying the caribou, one of these years I'll have to come down and catch my own deep sea caribou and you'll have to shoot a barren ground halibut.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:16 PM

VBM--Interested in catching a halibut, huh? And you complained that there would be nothing to do here in July!

Phish--I forgot to tell you, when we were discussing deer parts....next deer season, if you normally just use the rib meat for hamburger--don't! Bring them to me, and I'll cook them up right! We had some that I made for Seak a couple days after Christmas (it's a pressure cooker, bbq sauce, and oven method) and when I asked him what he thought, he said "I'm thinking we need more ribs! They're never going to be used for hamburger again!"

Nim--Glad you finally got the package in the mail!!
Old 01-09-2004, 09:18 PM

Hey All,
It looked like things were kind of slow on this thread lately and so I thought I'd add a little spice to the winter humdrums. I had pulled a permit to hunt for moose on Ft. Rich this year and I went out last weekend to give an attempt at taking my first big game animal by bow. Hunted the afternoon on Friday and then all day Saturday and had about three stalks but nothing to show for it except frustration. For some reason those moose were very skittish. Could be the hunting pressure or even the local wolves as signs of them were everywhere. One stalk was blown by a diesel pickup that drove by just as I was closing in at about ten yards on a cow. Needless to say, that ended that. Anyway, Sunday I took off into the woods paralleling a ridge that overlooked a flat covered with willows. Just about the time I was getting tired of bucking waist deep snow, I saw a nice cow feeding below. I followed her for about two and a half hours at 0 degrees and was rewarded for it when she came up the rise at about noon, probably to bed down. Anyway I crawled within range and placed an arrow completely through her from about 35 yards. The shot took out both lungs and I have to say that I was quite impressed with the blood trail left to follow. Not much trouble tracking it for the 150 yards to where she went down, deader than a doornail. What a feeling!

Arcticbowman, you may remember me as Aleutian Archer. I wrote back and forth with you last year. I was living in Dutch Harbor at the time but have since moved to Soldotna where I intend to take advantage of more bow hunting opportunities. AK Nimrod, I wouldn't mind connecting with you here in Soldotna sometime to learn about local clubs, shoots or other hunting opportunities that exist. Anyway, my best to all, hope you looking forward to many hunts planned in this New Year.

Quick Reply: Alaska Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.