Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Utah hunters? >

Utah hunters?

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Utah hunters?

Old 01-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Utah hunters?

What is hunting in Utah like? My folks could move there and I've never heard much out of you all. Does Utah have alot of woods, and nice scenery? Lots of animals?

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 01-23-2003, 07:02 PM

Default RE: Utah hunters?

Well, I have lived here all my life and I am a avid sporstman and would not live any where else, The permits are a little harder to get because of the draws we have, but there is so much to hunt here We have a once in a life time hunts which is Buffalo, Moose, Rocky mountain big horn, desert big horn, and the rocky mountain goat, they are pretty hard to draw but it is possable I drew a buffalo permit the first year I put in ( what a hunt that was ). We have some of the best Elk hunting there is and there is plenty of prong horn antalope if you draw a premit and the mule deer are easy to take if your not to proud to shoot a small one. I have hunted in Wyoming for antalope and whitetail, I have been to colorado hunting mulies and elk and I still love Utah. The turkey hunting is getting real big around the state, the NWTF is realy doing a good job. we have all kinds of upland game birds to hunt and water fowl it seems like every boy that is 12 years old has two guns or more, so don't let the hunting part of moving to Utah scare you off, it will probley be the size of the mountains that you have to hunt on that will change your mind. good luck, Shed horn
Old 01-23-2003, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

So how easy is it to get to hunt stuff? Are the tags hard to get, or land hard to come by, or seasons real short? I've hear other people say that tring to hunt anything in Utah took an act of congress.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 01-26-2003, 04:46 PM

The problem with Utah is that everybody hunts, so they have to limit the tags. 1st the deer hunt they put a limit on how many tags are given out, there are 95 thousand tags for the (general) hunt its broke down to Archrey state wide 14,500 tags, muzzleloader and any rifle 75,000 tags and then they break it up in regions in the state, so if your in the north you will get a tag if your in the central you will more than likley get one, but if you put in for southern there is 15,000 tags for 20,000 people wanting to hunt there, but you will get one the next year, now lets go to the limited area units where the big boys live this is what we all put in for, you get a point every year you don't draw for the limited area and the ones that draw have to wait a few years to put back in for a permit on a limited area, there are some big bucks in these limited areas so you put in every year and hope that you draw. we have a program that is called the dedicated hunter, that is what I sign up for, You can hunt archrey,muzzleload and rifle the same year any region you choose, but you can only take 2 deer in three years but you can hunt all 3 hunts, 3 a year for three years and then you have to sign back up for three more years, this makes you pick your buck and lets you enjoy the outdoors for the whole fall season you pay 185.00 for the three year program and you have to work 8 hours a year in the outdoors, forest service or the fish and game, and it is usally a lot of fun. if you want to hunt in Utah all you have to do is put in for a tag you can get one somewhere in the state every year. good luck, Shed horn