Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 AZ Quail Hunting Help >

AZ Quail Hunting Help

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

AZ Quail Hunting Help

Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Default AZ Quail Hunting Help

I went with somefamilly quail hunting North of Surprise, AZ out Hwy 60, only saw a couple. Anyone from AZ got a spot they be willing point the way too
Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Spike

Default RE: AZ Quail Hunting Help

Hey Diggerr,
I've hunted out that way a couple of times, have a few suggestions:
1) Take the 60 past the 303 until you come to a TALL radio tower on the left side of the highway, turn left and head South until you get to the canal. It's about 5 miles, can be a bumpy ride but not 4WD by any means. I hunted the South side of the canal and got into a nice covey of Gambel's, pulled about 5 birds. There's a nice evening flight of dove there too. Then again, where are there NOT a lot of dove in AZ?!
2) Continue NW on 60 and turn right on 203rd, head north to the Chrysler Proving Grounds. Turn left, head west about 1/2 mile, you'll see tree lines on the left about 1/4 mile bwn them angling south and eventually joining. I got into a couple small covies on both tree lines.
3) A bit further west of there you can turn right and head up to highway 74. There's state land on the north side of the highway and it's WIDE open. I got into a bunch of birds 2 years ago up that way, so many it seemed the hillside was moving! Be ready to walk and be sure to take lots of water though

After that...I'd suggest simply looking for good habitat and anywater sources, same as you would anywhere else.

Good luck!
Biffstir
Old 10-17-2007, 08:10 PM

Thanks Biffstir
Any thing will help, how long since you was there?
Old 10-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Spike

January of this year, though I didn't bust any birds And that was just spots north of the Proving Grounds fyi. I didn't get into the field until the afternoon.

I just looked on Google Earth and found the spot where the hills were crawling....
Turn onto74 West from North 211th Ave (runs parallel to Westside of Proving Grounds)
Go just past N 235th ave (a dirt road on your left that dead-ends into 74), and on your right you'll see a dirt road up into State Lands. Take that up to a fence line on your left. Follow that fence line West until you drop into a tree-lined draw. That's where I parked, walk those arroyos and you should find 'em. Let me know if you do!

There's also a water source, looks like maybe a stock pond, a couple hundred yards past that fence line on the left. IF I recollect, you can drive past the fenceline, it doesn't cross the dirt road, but who knows after all this time.

Good luck!

Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Allright guys, i need your help.

Im from Central AZ but im currently stationed at DM Air Force Base in Tucson. I have no problem killing my limit of birds up home in Payson but down here im having a hell of a time finding birds. I find "good" habitat but no birds. At this point im willing to trade some info on trophy bulls and bucks just to put some birds in my sons satchel. I already tried the old proving grounds. Not even a rabbit. Crazy huh?
Im thinking of trying "willow Springs" road near Oracle this Saturday. I heard it was productive, but i also heard its hunted pretty heavy too. I dont wanna compete with other huters either.

Any ideas

HELP!

Bowhntr#1
Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Spike

Hi Ben,
Sorry, I haven't hunted the South end of the state so I can't help you out. I'll ask some friends and post again if I learn anything.
DD
Old 10-24-2007, 08:30 PM

Sorry havent been down south in years either, but if ya come across a good place let me know Please
Old 11-18-2007, 01:45 PM

bowhntr: I know of a spot on Willow Springs Ranch where there is a pretty good sized covey. The only problem is that they are ready. You need a good bird dog to either chase them back or to get them to sit. They will stay anywhere from just outside of shotgun range or. Well, I've seen them run about 100 yards away. Ive been tempted to bring out a rifle to shoot them with.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

You guys are making me home sick. I didn't start hunting until I left AZ. My brother goes out for dove and quail and I need to take a trip and go out with him.

It's good to hear that all the growth in Phx and Tuc haven't eliminated the opportunities close in.

spud
Old 11-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Spike

Guys, did y'all see this?:
http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/tow_release.php?ID=123664&session=jaq354k3acu1 qry7
Looks like maybe there's hope!
Let us know how you do!
Biffstir