Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Quail Hunting TX & Ok.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default Quail Hunting TX & Ok.

A couple of my buddies have been going to Montana in Sept. & Kansas in Nov. to hunt quail, huns, shartail, etc. They have been trying to get me to go for several years. I decided to go this year to Montana.

Well you might know, lady luck got me. I started having a tightness in my chest in late July. I had it checked out and ended up with heart surgery. I had 5 blockages, a 90, 90, 95, 80, & 50%. I had surgery on July 28th and am doing pretty good now. However, my Doctor tells me I'm grounded for several months, with no chance to go with my buddies. So I thought I would do some research for them.

They want to go to either TX or Ok. to quail hunt in the future years. They normally stay in Hotels while on their trip. They would like to find a location with good quail populations (public land preferrably) and a good hotel (city) within reasonalble driving distance each day. If they could find some land that has ahouse to rent for a week or so would be better. Can any of you steer me in the right direction.

Thank You,
Laid Up dog1
Old 08-24-2006, 08:04 PM

Default RE: Quail Hunting TX & Ok.

Yessir, Got a a couple of names in upper Tx over into Okbut I haven't touched base in a couple of years. Private landowners with reasonable daily/per gunrates. Lots of birds,use your own dog and pretty much guide yourself.
I need some info on a November trip:
Minnesota-grouse
Montanahuns and sharptail
Nevada Mountain Quail
Arizona mearns,blues
Need any info on public landsas well as private landowners
I'm heading out of SC.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Flounda, got your email. Our areas going to be good this year. The rains have fell at the right times that are beneficial to nesting and the chicks getting alot to eat. Larry
Old 09-03-2006, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

iBTSI am glad to hear there are some birds. I am going to make a trip out in Jan with my shorthair... I hear beter of state is a dust bowel... but west has some birds...any word around Paducah?
Old 09-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Anywhere in Western, northwestern, or the panhandle of Oklahoma will normally produce quite a few birds. Far northwestern and the panhandle will also give you a good oppurtunity to harvest pheasant and Blue (scaled) quail along with the bobwhites. There are several areas of public land and sometimes it isn't that hard to hunt private land if you just ask landowners in the area. Here is a link to the public land areas in Oklahoma. http://129.15.97.32/odwcims/

This website contains the seasons, regulations, and numerous other things related to Oklahoma wildlife and outdoors. www.wildlifedepartment.com

Hope this helps,

Trent
Old 09-06-2006, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Dover, I have been up to Childress this weekend hunting dove. Quail should be good. Paducah has had good rains this spring, so there should be a good hatch. Larry
Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

dog1: Of course, lady luck was fortunate to you, sparing you from a heart attack and the consequent damage to your heart so you can continue to live a long, vigorous life after you recover. Think of this when you are wishing you were out hunting in the next few months. Good health to you.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks buddy ! Going to be a long time until January
Old 09-22-2006, 07:35 AM

Matador WMA at the base of the texas panhandle usually has pretty good quail hunting. It is near Paducha and Childress. There is also several pieces of public land out in southwest texas that I have heard are good. You can get an APH permit from the TPWD for about $50 and they will send you a booklet listing the different pieces of property available for hunting and maps of each.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:12 PM

Black Kettle in western Oklahoma normally has good bird numbers. But, for some reason this year the population is down quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Quail Hunting TX & Ok.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.