Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Best area in New Mexico for Elk >

Best area in New Mexico for Elk

West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Best area in New Mexico for Elk

Old 09-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Spike

Default Best area in New Mexico for Elk

Looking to get opinions on where is the best area to elk hunt in New Mexico. Also looking for a referral for a good outfitter. 4 of us are looking to book a hunt for 2008.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:55 PM

Default RE: Best area in New Mexico for Elk

UNITS } Gila area>16 a & c ,b is wilderness,unit 6-JEMEZ area, bow & muzzle only in unit 15,unit 34 is a hot unit for good class bulls,52 gets hit hard w/bow,muzzle & rifle,good snow will bring them down from colorado..
Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Try S-S Outfitters they are in Glencoe NM and are very good friends of mine.

Their website is

www.s-soutfitters.com

Ask for Rick or April Simpson
Hope it helps.
Leroy
Old 09-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Just got got out of Unit 16B (Gila Wilderness) a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful country inhabited by tremendous elk. Included belowis a follow-up threadI posted on another website. PM if you would like additional info. Remember, NM is a lottery state, so unless you are interested in ponying-up big $for a land-owner tag in 2008, you must apply (three choices) to the lottery (approx $10). Best of luck.

- As a follow-up to an earlier thread in June, I wanted to let you all know that we selected guide Mike Root (out of Cuchillo)and hunted Week#2, Unit 16B. In short, tremendous experience all around. Mike is a wonderful individual, an experienced guide (elk, lions, bear) and a true American Patriot (former US Marine Corp Force Recon). We were into elk five of the eight hunting days during the latter part of our trip (as they got heated-up)and had numerous shot opportunities. We were all seeking mature bulls (300+) and elected not to pull the string on cows/rag horns. Member of our party passed on on a 6x7 (@ 45 yards) that came into a wallow right before dark and, as for myself, am sad to report that I missed a broadside mature 6x6 at 9 yards. Let's leave it as a awesome lesson learned and 100% archer error. Hopefully we can try again next year.
If anyone would like additional info re Mike Root and his services please PM me, otherwise, he may be reached at HC 30 Box 35, Cuchillo, New Mexico 87901-9603, (505) 743-2026, [email protected].
Best wishes to all for a safe and successful hunting season.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:13 PM

i gta say mount taylor or 16b