Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Area 15B, New Mexico

Old 09-09-2002, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Area 15B, New Mexico

In my second year of applying, I have drawn my second muzzleloading tag for elk in New Mexico. Last year, I took a nice 6x6 bull north of Ruidoso in October while the bulls were still bugling. This year, I have drawn Area 15B (Gila area) for the November 9-13 hunt. I am using United States Outfitters again this year. Is it always this easy () or am I getting terribly spoiled? Any info on this area would be appreciated.

Work is for those who don't hunt (or those of us who must work in order to afford to hunt!)
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NWTF Member
Buckmasters Member
RMEF Member
Old 09-09-2002, 09:33 AM

Default RE: Area 15B, New Mexico

Out of state and using a guide namley USO yes almost always will draw under the current regulations. I would try to get the Valle Vidal next year (Once in a lifetime hunt) BIG BULLS.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Out of state and using a guide namley USO yes almost always will draw under the current regulations. I would try to get the Valle Vidal next year (Once in a lifetime hunt) BIG BULLS.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Just curious, how does being out of state and using an outfitter increase my odds of drawing a lottery tag? I understand that they are only entering my name in high quality areas, so that if I do get drawn, it is to a good area. But I don't understand how that increases my odds.

Work is for those who don't hunt (or those of us who must work in order to afford to hunt!)
NWTF Member
Buckmasters Member
RMEF Member
Old 09-10-2002, 09:51 PM

I have hunted NM in a poor unit for several years. I think they have an outfitter preference for the draw because they ask on the app if you are using an outfitter. So much private land and tags for sale that outfitters use them but have clients also put in for the draw so they can save $$. I think you are hunting the Gila and have a super chance for a trophy bull. Best of luck and put the photos on so I can be REALLY jealous. Good luck. By the way I did kill elk every year and a 340 bull in my cheap unit.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unit 15B is a very good area to find a good bull. I drew a bull tag in 16D just across the street from unit 15B. My cousins use to guide for USO, but they refuse to guide for them anymore for reasons I will not get into. My advice to you is to get a hold of topo maps for 15B, and study them hard. Make sure you have clothes for all weather. Make sure you have all your supplies Apache Creek, and Reserve are very small towns. Make sure you are in good physical and mental shape it is a rugged area. A cousin was mending fences and said, &quot;There are elk everywhere&quot;. Good luck.

Edited by - handloader1 on 09/10/2002 23:57:05
Old 09-11-2002, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Here is my attempt to post a picture of last year's elk. Scored 334 3/8 B&C.

NWTF Member
Buckmasters Member
RMEF Member
Old 09-11-2002, 02:25 PM

DOC -

Current regs in NM allow 20% of the licenses to out of staters. Out of that 10% goes to ones that are guided. More applicants from out of state apply for non-guided hunts so your actual chances of drawing is far greater. And even though 80% goes to residents the percentage of drawing is low because of the number of applicants. Hopefully this clarifies the system for you. It may be the last year for this restriction due to the AZ judges ruling.

Anyway I am in 15B with a muzzleloader in OCT. Going scouting this weekend. Hope to spot some rut crazed bulls.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

dperry:

I will be scouting 16D this weekend also maybe we can meet each other. If you have a cell phone #, E-Mail it to me [email protected]. I will be staying at The Elk Country Inn (in Reserve). I will be leaving Friday morning at 9:00 AM., and will be in Reserve about 2:00 PM. Hope to see you there.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:09 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
DOC -

Current regs in NM allow 20% of the licenses to out of staters. Out of that 10% goes to ones that are guided. More applicants from out of state apply for non-guided hunts so your actual chances of drawing is far greater. And even though 80% goes to residents the percentage of drawing is low because of the number of applicants. Hopefully this clarifies the system for you. It may be the last year for this restriction due to the AZ judges ruling.

Anyway I am in 15B with a muzzleloader in OCT. Going scouting this weekend. Hope to spot some rut crazed bulls.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> Actually its 12% for guided, 8% nonguided. Thats one reason USO is hated by nonres hunters who dont want to spend money for a guide. Uso lobbies for everything they want. And i talked to lots of guides who worked for them in the past and say they are &quot;users&quot;
Old 09-15-2002, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

DocHunter:

I went scouting this weekend (13th-15th) in Unit 16D (accross the street from Unit 15B), and it is very wet. It rained four days before I arrived there and continued to rain, and is supposed to rain all this comming week. They are not rutting, so they are not vocalizing. We did not see any elk at all; we saw some track and a few rubs. The bow hunters are not very happy due to the rain. I saw one guy with a satellite bull, and that's about it. Good luck.

Edited by - handloader1 on 09/16/2002 00:55:53

Quick Reply: Area 15B, New Mexico

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.