Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Question for colorado bowhunters? >

Question for colorado bowhunters?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Question for colorado bowhunters?

Old 10-04-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Question for colorado bowhunters?

I'v always hunted with a rifle, But im getting tired of fighting over food sources and bedding areas.Or who's shot was the kill shot, or evengetting shot at. I hunt public land because i dont know any land owners and cant afford guided trips. My question is how big is the turn out for bowhunters west of I-25 on public land. Do you have to pack in 4 to 5 milesto be away from the crowds.Or do you seldom see other bowhunters?
Old 10-04-2005, 09:26 PM

Default RE: Question for colorado bowhunters?

JC308,
Where I hunt you might see 2 or 3 hunters during bow season and I never have to travel more than 1/4 mile to be in the Elk, but when blackpowder starts you better have your tag filled or beprepared to go down some nasty canyons after them. All in all it is great hunting in my neck of the woods. Good luck Gary
Old 10-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

My observations are about like racemans. Not nearly as many archers as there are rifleman!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

The season is alot longer also, so the hunting pressure is sometimes spread out more. Some will hunt first part and others wait to hunt last part of the season. Like raceman stated Muzzleloading season in also usually in the middle of that, so plan accordingly as you will get a few more hunters into some areas during that week. The weather can be warmer and the rut is going on which make for an enjoyable hunt. The hunt can will be alot more challenging though to stick one with an arrow.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:49 PM

It really depends on where you are going. I saw quite a few archers this year, But I never crossed one in the woods. They were camped near me and passed on the roads. You wont regret making the switch to archery. The pre-rut makes it a lot more exciting with the buglingand the Elk are still in their natural habits. Also, Silver Wolf hit the nail on the head. The pressure is a lot less due to the length of the season. Also, arcers are more cautious and make fewer mistakes because we have to get a lot closer. I actually ended up hunting with some fellas from Mass. that I met while hunting. Hope you enjoy your hunt.
Scott
Old 10-18-2005, 09:13 PM

You have 2 choices in Colorado Public or private. If its public it had better be pretty remote like a wilderness area. You may get lucky near the roads but if you want consistanly good hunting pack it in. Get, Rent steal a horse. If its private it had better be high elevation land because its just too darn hot below 8500 feet . There are exceptions. And put in for the draws.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Plenty of good publick land west of I25. Not a lot of bowhunters and the season is 4 weeks long. I like bow hunting but next yr i'll gbe carryin a ML.

Good luck to ya.