Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 question for all you bowhunters >

question for all you bowhunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

question for all you bowhunters

Old 02-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default question for all you bowhunters

Here's a question that I have not gotten much response on the NE board. Backgraound: NY is proposing a 1 week ML doe only season in the middle of bow season. As you can probably guess, vehmently opposed by bowhunters. I and others have suggested a compromise of having the week ML at the beginning of October with bow following (Bow opens the 15th now).

My question: Do you think that an early 1 week ML seaon starting Oct 1st would have a signifigant effect on the bow season?? Our rut starts up in early November and runs thru mid-late Nov.

Way I see it, that gives the deer a month to resume normal patterns and a god 2-3 weeks before the pre-rut. So my opinion is that it would have little effect.

What do you think?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:26 PM

Default RE: question for all you bowhunters

NO! If they want a early ML put it at the end of bow season before shotgun season. I do not want a bunch of idiots tramping through the woods spooking the deer out of normal patterns in prime time bow hunting. I spend too much time patterning the deer during winter and spring to have them spooked from those patterns. Why do gun hunters feel they have to ruin bow season????????? If it is at the end of bow season you can still shoot 150yrds so why make it difficult for those of us that shoot at the outside 40-45yrds(my self imposed limit is 40). A big[:@] from me!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:34 PM

I agree wait with the ML Doe Only season. In North Dakota, my home state, the idiots that be started a "youth" deer gun season in the middle of bow season late September. It ends up being a Slob Hunter, My kid got this great tag so i'm going to get a trophy, deer tag. I can't figure out why the first season interupted is always the bow season.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input, but the question was do you think it will REALLY effect the deer patterns (and I guess why you feel the way you do). Remember that there will be nearly a month before primetime bowhunting. Is it better early than in the middle of the season (yes?). Hopefully there will be a late ML also (or at least).

Medic,

just so you know the week before shotgun, here, IS the prime rut. Don't think we (bowhunters) want it there.

There is also the general feeling that there will not be a huge influx of "new" hunters just because of a 1 week doe season. With anything you will have "slob" hunters no matter what season.

Thnaks again and I hope to get more input on this topic.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:15 AM

Standingpipe,

I am from ND. You are dead on when you say that. It sucks. Last year I was out bowhunting and my decoy almost got shot. I was in a ground blind in a bean field. And if that isn't bad enough it was from the road, just hopped out of the truck and blasted. I was so busy taking cover, praying not to get shot I didnt even get a license plate # or anything. I was very mad. It just sucks that they have to have the "youth" season right in the middle of bow season.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:45 AM

WHat about the guys that are out there with rifles and shotguns small game hunting??? That season is during bow season, and i dont hear any complaining about them just ML. WHY??? I dont see how ML would effect bow season if it is at the begining or the middle. SO you might have to work a little harder to get your deer....it will just make you a better hunter.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:53 AM

I think it depends where you hunt. If you've got some private land and it dosn't get pounded by people driving deer and leaving scent every where it shouldn't hurt and may actually help those on private land. If you hunt public land and it gets a good amount of pressure with people walking all through it, leaving scent and pushing deer around it will cause the deer to change patterns and become nocturnal if the pressure is heavy enough.

I think the same is the case with all hunting in general. If you use techniques that limit pressure on the deer you will have better more natural movement then if the deer are being pushed around and shot at a lot. I believe that the advantages of hunting from a tree stand go beyond the initial benefits of being up high with a better view point and and having you scent blowing above the deer (or better yet, downwind). The amount on impact you have on the land is minimal and the deer are less likely to sence you presence wether you're hunting with a bow, smoke pole or rifle.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well your two options are lose/lose as you have stated them. Given the two choices, and only those two I would opt for the Oct 1 option. It will break up their summer feeding pattern, but that usually changes around here after the first week or two of bow anyways. It would be better if it was a week of ML a week off and then bow. In VA it's bow season from the first weekend in Oct and then ML for one to two weeks before rifle season (depending on your location) That's the best way to do it. You can bow hunt during that period or ML.

As for complaining about small game hunters: Here there are not a tenth as many small game hunters as there are deer hunters. I very rarely see any small game hunters, although I did have one blasting squirrels on MY property during bow season once. He had wandered (ie trespassed) from a neighbors property where he had permission to hunt. So small game hunters won't have the impact that deer hunters do.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do not want a bunch of idiots tramping through the woods spooking the deer out of normal patterns in prime time bow hunting. I spend too much time patterning the deer during winter and spring to have them spooked from those patterns. Why do gun hunters feel they have to ruin bow season?????????
Wow, So everyone that hunts with a mz is an idiot????

Careful you might wake the sleeping giant (gunhunters) they might start lobbying against bowhunters getting the first crack at all the mature bucks. They might decide we shouldn't get a chance at bucks in the rut before they do, and spend millions of dollars against us. Figure it out there are something like 90% more gun hunters then bow hunters. If your hunting priviate land you don't have to worry. If your hunting public land you already have many people in the woods during "your " bow season.

During the rut you can throw all your patterns away, any way hunt the does.

I don't think there would be a large impact to deer patterns at first, that is until alot more people buy the mz's to take advantage of the extra time.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think we need to look at other states with succesful programs.

Many states start Oct 1 or earlier and it doesn't change the deer summer feeding patterns. Other states like NJ hunt until Jan. 31.

Most of the hunting stratagies you read can't be used in NYS because our season is short compared to other states.

The only thing I see that might change is deer going nocturnal, which I don't think will happen.

If it is at the end of bow season you can still shoot 150yrds so why make it difficult for those of us that shoot at the outside 40-45yrds(my self imposed limit is 40). A big from me!
Explain to me how having a mz on the next property or in a tree stand 300 yards from you will stop a deer from walking with in 40 yards of you.

My son shot a doe this year second week of the season(gun) in a heavily hunted area. It gets alot of pressure this deer still walked with 20 yards of us,right before dark right where we have a bow stand.

Deer don't have the option of staying at the Hilton and getting room service because there are a few people in the woods.

I like the idea of an Oct 1 opener because I can't hunt white oaks when their falling,the season isn't open yet. I see piles of sign under these trees and know it's not worth hanging a stand near by,because all of them well be gone by the 15th. I'd love to be able to find these hot spots and hunt it that day,instead of walking away saying "I wish"?

Quick Reply: question for all you bowhunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.