Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
West side Late Archery elk spots? >

West side Late Archery elk spots?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

West side Late Archery elk spots?

Old 09-27-2002, 12:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default West side Late Archery elk spots?

I need some help with locating a late archery elk spot. I'll only be able to hunt the December portion of the elk season, and need some direction. I spent several days looking in the Deschutes on south Ft. Lewis and near Johnson Creek in the Skookumchuck unit last December, and I didn't even find a fresh track. I don't want anyone's honeyhole, just some spots to start looking. This year I'm looking at the Issaquah and Mossyrock units, but don't know anything about land access or the elk on them. Maybe some of you firearms hunters can tell me where you've seen elk in the past. I'll gladly do the legwork, I just need some guidance. If you would prefer, shoot me an e-mail. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hunt hard, live right, and tell your kids you love 'em!
Old 10-13-2002, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: West side Late Archery elk spots?

Just thought I would bump this back up to the top. I appreciate the couple of responses I got on this. If anybody can think of a west side area that you'd say is definitely worth a looksee for the late hunt, I'd appreciate it. And any tips for hunting them in December would be great too. I've never even seen an elk during the late hunt, so I'm obviously not doing something right. Thanks.

Old 10-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slee.....I hunted the early season around Castle Rock...Was gonna hunt the timber Co. land....but it was to dry to they closed it to hunting. My friend over there who has a logging outfit.....took me for a ride up there just for a look see.....Elk were everywhere. It's a walk in area only....but if ya stay by the gate's...and hitch hike....I'm sure one of the logger's will give ya a lift. Don't understand....for bow hunter's it's a walk in only.....for modern...it's walk in during the week day's....then they open the gate's for the week-end.....guess they figure us bow hunter's have an extra advantage over the rifle's....lol
Old 10-14-2002, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

It's all political. I don't mind hunting the gated roads though. Lots of elk hang out close to the gate and people walk right past them in those heavily timbered draws. I am learning not to overlook any piece of real estate in elk country. If you think or hear of anything Wayne, please keep me in mind. I'm still looking.

Does anyone know about the Fall River Unit(672) east of Raymond. I'm looking at that area too. Don't know anything about it though, other than the little bit of driving I did in there looking for turkeys back in March. Didn't really get into the unit very far though. I think that is Brushchimp's area, but I haven't seen him around in a while.