Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
 Colorado Unit 76 Guides? >

Colorado Unit 76 Guides?

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Colorado Unit 76 Guides?

Old 07-04-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Colorado Unit 76 Guides?

I have an archery tag for unit 76 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with guides. Any positive or negative information will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you are willing to share any information on the unit like best places to hunt, where the most elk are, or anything at all, I will appreciate that too. Alan
Old 07-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Unit 76 Guides?

i hunted that in 2001. discuss altitude sickness with you private MD i took 2 meds to help lessen chances of giving it. I think they were prednisone and dimox.
i came across one pair of hunters that one of the guys was very ill, they thought he had the flu....probably was alt. sickness and i suggested they get to a lower alt. they were at 11,000 . they left next morning. You don't want a hunt spoiled by a preventable illness. i hunted multiple areas. 2 areas out rt. 149 out of Creede aand one north of Creede out a dirt road. there is alot of public land. i was with a friend that lives about an hour east of Creede he drove and i really did not pay enough attention to what the names of roads or places were. We used 4 WD p/u to get to most of the areas. one area West of 149. we went a short distance off on dirt road then at trail head took four wheelers back in quite a ways to the boundry of the wilderness area. that was where we set up camp. We spent too much time moving and not enough hunting. i missed a small 5 or 6 point last day....He saw me draw and ducked and bailed. I did not see alot of animals but could have done better than i did.
i will try to contact my friend and see if he knows any guides in that area.
-pat
Old 07-07-2005, 08:13 PM

Hey Pat, thanks for the reply. I have been in contact with a couple of guides. One is Ted Dooley and the other is Sammy Fraizer. They both sound like they know what their doing. Ted Dooley offers drop camps and Sammy offers both drop and guided hunts. If possible, I hope to get some feedback on both of these guides asap so I can book something. Thanks again! Alan
Old 08-15-2005, 12:23 PM

I am an outfitter in Durango, CO; we have a camp in unit 76 with lots of good bulls in the area. Contact me if your interested in a fully-guided or drop camp for the first 8 days of archery. We hunt on public lands, and we're licensed, bonded and insured as a CO outfitter. You can also call me @ Rick 970-749-9695 or email to [email protected]. Look forward to hearing from you.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Alan,

I live right by unit 76. I knowthree outfitters personally I would recommed. Aaron Laske (719)754-2527 Gary Dickie (719)754-3730 Sammy Frazier (719)852-9665

Aaron is a long time co-outfitter and friend and that boy can hunt especially bow hunting.
Gary is also a friend I lion hunt with every year.
Sammy is a friend that usually gets the biggest rifle bull of the year outfitter contest.

All three are local outfitters that live in the area and know the game and location. They are not outfitters that come from other areas to hunt different units. One of these three will do you right. I don't have a permit in unit 76 myself.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:02 AM

This web site is somewhat helpful for finding a guide.

http://www.huntinfo.com/reviews/outfitter_reviews.php3?outfitter_search=&state _filter=co&submit_action=Go

It gives reviews from hunters
Old 08-21-2005, 05:57 AM

Thanks guys for the replys. I decided to go with and have booked a hunt with Sammy Frazier. I got to meet and talk with him in June and he seems to be a great guy who knows his stuff. Less than a month now and we'll be up on the mountain. I can't hardly wait. Great huning to you all. Alan