Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
What the HSUS say about Waterfowling >

What the HSUS say about Waterfowling

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What the HSUS say about Waterfowling

Old 01-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Spike

Default What the HSUS say about Waterfowling

Found on HSUS Website: http://www.hsus.org/programs/wildlif...waterfowl.html

Crippled Waterfowl:
What You May Not Know About Waterfowl Hunting
A new report by The HSUS reveals that waterfowl hunting invariably results in additional mortality of ducks and geese, beyond the number of birds that hunters bring home. This additional mortality (or "unretrieved kill&quot occurs when hunters fail to retrieve birds they have shot. However, many people, including hunters, may not be aware of how frequently this occurs or the extent to which ducks and geese suffer as a result.
Wildlife agencies do account for some wounding loss in their estimates of total hunting-related waterfowl mortality. However, according to The Ones That Got Away: Unseen Victims of Waterfowl Hunters, these agencies base their estimates on hunters' self-reports, a methodology that typically produces estimates indicating that 12% to 18% of all waterfowl shot are not retrieved. Research that compared this kind of self-reporting methodology to actual observations of hunter behavior reveal that, in fact, 20% to 40% of all waterfowl shot are not retrieved. Estimates based on mathematical probability and hunter experience, which can account for birds whose injuries are not readily apparent to an observer, are even higher—from 33% to 60%.
Some of these unretrieved birds are killed outright but are, for a variety of reasons, not retrieved by the shooter. However, an unknown proportion of these birds are merely wounded, and left to suffer crippling wing injuries, infection, and an inability to escape natural predators. Most of these birds will die slowly and painfully. According to Dr. John Grandy, senior vice president for Wildlife and Habitat Protection for The HSUS, a waterfowl biologist and former duck hunter, "Even hunters should see the high wounding and crippling rates as unacceptable, and should demand more of themselves and more of a system that encourages them to buy their licenses with no regard for the tremendous suffering that ensues."

http://www.hsus.org/programs/wildlif...waterfowl.html

This is how "General Mills" is helping join the boycott of "General Mill". The the boycott post can be found on other forums in Huntingbbs.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What the HSUS say about Waterfowling

Are you saying we need to go back to lead shot?
Old 01-10-2002, 08:11 AM

Default RE: What the HSUS say about Waterfowling

Look...I complained like a spanked baby when steel first was made the law or waterfowlers. But I got over my tantrum and "LEARNED" how to shoot steel.....Now many boxes of shells later...I have learned to shot there heads off at 40-50 yds. I would love for lead to be legalized again, but it is not going to happen...so Until then and since I can't afford the expencive non-toxic stuff... steel "HAS" to be my load of choice!!

Gunner™
"If it flies....It dies!!"