Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

1st waterfowl shotgun

Old 03-24-2005, 04:15 PM

Default 1st waterfowl shotgun

this is my first post on the forum and i hope i don't open a can of worms here but... i am new to waterfowl hunting. this past season was my first. i borrowed my father-in-law's 870 supermag to hunt with, and bagged a few ducks and geese with it. now that i'm hooked on waterfowl i have decided to buy my own shotgun. i have done a lot of research on the web as to the different types and brands, and i have narrowed it down to three. the 870 supermag, benelli nova pump, and the 835 ulti-mag. i am having a terrible time deciding which one to buy! as i said before, i shot the 870 quite a bit but it never seemed to fit quite right. however, this may be because i've grown up shooting rifles all my life (this was my first season shooting a shotgun). can you guys help me out? how do i decide?

thanks a lot,

adam.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:30 AM

Default RE: 1st waterfowl shotgun

ANY GUN SHOP WILL LET YOU SHOULDER AND SWING A GUN TO CHECK THE FEEL OF IT.

I PERSONIALY PREFER THE REMINGTON . IF NEED BE THEY CAN ALL BE MADE TO FIT YOU THE WAY YOU WANT.

870 EXPRESS SUPER MAG FULL SYNTHETIC=ALMOST INDESTRUCTABLE

JUST MY.02
Old 03-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive had a remington and out grew it it was a youth model no problems with it
but i have a nova now and you can beat it
Old 03-25-2005, 08:06 AM

yeah i have to say i like the benelli and berettas .... great guns !! .... have seen too many rems and moss malfunction ..... but it all pends on how ya hunt ... if ya hunt like i do ya wanna a real realiable gun ....but then again ... sum days i look like a crawdad layin in shallow water ... lol .... get em how ya can is how i see it
Old 03-25-2005, 12:56 PM

Welcome, Waterfowling is fun and a great way to empty your wallet.

The three guns you mentioned are all good guns and will serve you well if you take care of them. Go to your local gun shop and ask to look at each model. Shoulder them, work the actions and you'll find the one that feels just right for you. Before you know it the wallet will be lighter.

I own several guns in both Mossbergs and Remingtons. My goto gun has been a 12ga. 870mag but the last half of this season I used a 20ga. 870 Express because I have an abundance of Heavyshot in 20. The geese didn't know the difference.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:38 AM

thanks for all the input guys. after talking with a few other people and visiting a few gunshops, i think i'm going to go with the remington. i have heard far less negative things about the gun than the others. i think it was more or less the price that was getting to me. i think getting my tax return may have had something to do with the decision as well. so i'm gonna go all out and get the 870 sps super magnum in camo.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

isnt that a 10ga. ?
Old 03-26-2005, 02:14 PM

i got the remington 870 and i hunt everything with it and its never failed me and i mostly waterfowl hunt
ive also used it for retriving decoys and it still works just you need to clean it !!!!!
Old 03-27-2005, 12:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

All I am gonna say is that i have used all three and that I have a NOVA and love it!!!!!! It has been the best all around gun yet!!!!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:55 AM

This may be a little biased as im a remington man, but i have hunted with a rem pump and have never had any problems, 1187 and have had a few problems due to owner negligence. Some of the older 3 1/2 mossburgs used to jamm. The binelli pump never really fit me but the SBE fit really good just a little to picky on shells for me. Hope this not to biased opinion, good luck with whatever you buy. Let us know which one you decide to buy so we can give you a hard time on jump on the band wagon.

Quick Reply: 1st waterfowl shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.