Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 The Duck Commander appeared at our church. >

The Duck Commander appeared at our church.

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

The Duck Commander appeared at our church.

Old 03-13-2005, 03:50 PM

Default The Duck Commander appeared at our church.

Last Thursday night our church had its second annual "wild game supper" and we had already gotten Phil Robertson to commit too it. The lastyear our innaugural event attracted over 400 people. This year it was standing room only in the sanctuary (had to feed folks in two places, the banquet hall and a gym) as over 850 folks gathered to here "the great scroungy one"

He had done some appearances over the years for my brothers sporting goods stores but I understand he now mainly does a few big industry shows, a handful of sports shows and more and more is doing church sponsored events. I knew of his football background (where Terry Bradshaw actually played well behind him at QB for Tech) but I didn't know of his "beer joint owner" days. He actually stood at the pulpit and called himself at onetime, "whore mongerer, dope smoking sinner". He certainly isn't ashamed to "call a spade a spade" and I think EVERYONE left with a new appreciation for him, themselves, their sport and their creators wonderful gift too us all that we call "hunting and fishing".

His stories of ministry in the duckblind were funny yet inspiring. Stories of actually baptizing folks "in the decoys" and in the river behind his plant was quite humorous. I wonder why he hasn't put some of those on film? (Our baptismal was actually filled and had 4 Canadian floaters in it! ) If anyone out there has never seen him and you get the chance, DO IT! I heard several stating after the show that they had no idea he had that kind of message.

Oh and he "cleaned up for the show" as well... he said he had duck hunted 100days in a row this past season. From Canada to Mexico and even in New Zealand. So he grabbed about a handful of his now graying beard and chopped it off. "Thats about right" he stated while stroking his beard.

When he first stepped on stage in his camo and dark sunglasses, he assured us we were in the right place and stated, "NO I am NOT ZZ-TOP!"
RA

ps
I was quite surprised and humored when he spoke about "to many rules, to few birds etc" his preferred method for handling those birds that drop into your decoys at first legal time while still dark? .... "Groundswat the whole lot of em, we can only kill 6 and you wanna make more rules for us? I say killem ALL and sort em out later." Too which there was resounding applause and laughter.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:27 PM

Default RE: The Duck Commander appeared at our church.

awesome!
Old 03-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Duck Commander appeared at our church.

That would be an awesome sight to see! He is a great guy IMO.