Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
What's happened to Arkansas? >

What's happened to Arkansas?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What's happened to Arkansas?

Old 01-08-2002, 06:22 AM
Spike

Default What's happened to Arkansas?

Up until five or six years ago, you could count on Arkansas for a good mallard shoot. Now it's hit or miss (more miss than hit). In fact, I haven't talked to anyone who went there recently (within the last three years) that had a descent hunt.

This last weekend, while I went to south Louisiana, a group of friends headed to Arkansas. Six of them killed a grand total of two ducks (we slayed them in LA).

What's happened? Duck counts are up, right?

My folks said they are never going back. Last five trips, five duck busts. It gets old (not to mention expensive) after a while.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's happened to Arkansas?

There's just nothin down here. I don't know what to tell ya. The weather has been too hot up North I think. And the ducks just haven't come down yet. And I think that the ice storm last year may have hurt em some too. I talked to some friends from DeWitt last week and they said it was pitiful.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:07 PM

I went to Stuttgart a couple of weeks ago and I know what you mean. very few birds. Don't know where they have gone, but I hope they return.
Bman
Old 01-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Fork Horn

I have never been to Arkansas to hunt ducks. The wife said GO. But wasn't enough ducks came through this year to be worth the drive for me. We are their last stop before getting there and I'm not following the birds that never came through. Maybe next year.
Old 01-10-2002, 04:11 PM
New Sheriff

Don't waste your time coming to Arkansas to hunt ducks

We went last weekend to Dewitt on a private lodge hunt. 6 hour drive with two of my customers and we fired a total of 4 shots, and those were not realistic shots, we just got tired of sitting there so we took a couple of pass shots. That wasn't the worst of it, the other group that was there flew all the way from Atlanta and they didn't fire a shot.

The guide said it was a six year cycle but I dont know about that.

I have talked to buddied all over the state and they all say the same thing.......PITYFUL
Old 01-10-2002, 04:36 PM

They are all stuck up in the northen areas! I took a ride today by several areas that should have very few if any left! They are holding 1000's of birds, actually saw a couple vortex's of mallards over a couple cornfields, and there was at least 5000 birds in each!