Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Huntin Dogs

Old 12-25-2004, 10:09 PM

Default Huntin Dogs

Hey All,

Welp i have a Choc. Lab but i've gave up on her she is one of the 150 Labs and way to freakin hyper to do anything with . So i have laerned a lesson dont go cheap when it comes to huntin Dogs HAHA. So now heres the Big Question i gonna get a new Black Lab Male Pup from the Delta WaterFowl Dog Kennels. What Should i do with her ??? She has won my heart But should i make her just a pet or what ?? I dont think i could give her away ? Any Help would be gladly Appreciated.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Huntin Dogs

well you never know somedogs will just mellow out went hey get out there let em run to the blid or wat not then they will just be ur partner after that. I would say give it a shot with her. you never know how a dog is gonna turn out untill you try. good luck
Old 12-26-2004, 07:40 AM

I have found that a dog that is kenneled or chained and not released often will be hyper. I have the invisible fence and that works great. My Lab was hyper till she was 1 year old.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:35 AM

I to have a choc female that's hyper.I've been working her every day and she's coming around.She's about 1 1/2 years and mellowing a little.I don't know if she'll work out but I'm gonna keep trying.I think next time I'd rather spend some money and buy a started dog.....
Old 12-27-2004, 02:37 PM

How old is she? Who trained her. What method? Do you need a pet?

Never messed with labs...I'm one of those hardheads who keeps a Chessie close by.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

Starting with good breeding is a nice way to begin. If you don't have experience training labs I would hook up with a local AKC club and train with them, they all have folks who train on a regular basis. Or find a trainer who'll work with you and the dog, owners need to learn also. In finding clubs members and trainers just like everything else there are the bad ones and the good ones. Shop around. Jackie Merten's video "Sound Beginnings" is a good one for the basics. Retriever Training Forum online is a good place for advice the bulk of them are into Hunt Test and Field Trials, and demand more from their dogs than the average hunter. Hyper dogs can become good retrievers also, most have lots of drive. I like Hunt Test for it gives me something to do in the off season.