Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decoy Anchoring Systems

Old 12-18-2004, 10:08 PM

Default Decoy Anchoring Systems

Has anyone seen duck decoys with a unique or different anchor system?

I currently use heavy mono with an attached weight and then wrap it up around the keel of each decoy. In between hunts I find that sometimes the mono comes loose in the decoy bag and I get several tangled up. This sucks to discover this at 5:30 am at the next hunt. When I try to prevent this by wrapping the mono real tight around the keel it's difficult to undo and cold fingers don't help!! I noticed the ACE anchors, but I was wondering what else is out there? When I go to the sporting goods store all I see is mainly generic CRAP (just like I've been using)!

Thanks!

Brian P
Old 12-18-2004, 10:31 PM

Default RE: Decoy Anchoring Systems

try the greenhead strap weights. after i wrap the line around the keel u can bend the straps around the keel also. they stay in place and slip off when your ready to hunt again. i just did up 2 dozen mallards and they work well
Old 12-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a 12" of 1/8 shock cord tied into a loop and tied just over my weight. when I wrap up the anchor cord I can strech out the shock cord loop and loop over the tail or head with no chance of coming loose or maring the decoy.
For anchor cord I use a tared poly cord ( never comes loose )
For anchors I use 4-5 oz wheel weights( used,free at tire stores) ,with a hole in the clip for the cord. I hunt weedy marshs and they hold great
Old 12-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

I would avoid mono, get some Taggle Free. The mushroom type hold well in current.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, avoid mono like any other type of v.d.

Try using some type of tangle free line and "Texas rig" them. That's the kind of rigging where you use a carabiner to hold 12-18 together when you pick them up. That system is nearly tangle free, and very fast to pick up and put out. 3 guys can pick up 60 dekes and have them in the boat in 7 minutes, and we weren't even trying to pick them up quickly.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:34 AM

Almost all my decoys now have Ace weights and the rest will have shortly. Beats any other weight I ever used by far. I use either braided decoy cord or Tangle Free cord. Beware of Tangle Free imitations like the crap at Wal-Mart. Make sure it is Tangle Free brand.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:22 AM

I have tried the Tanglefree. It may be ok for some applications however in extreme conditions like where I hunt it gets brittle in cold weather and breaks or will be all folded up and will not sink. I now use all tarred nylon line. The only good part about it up here is that it does not tangle in the decoy bag when they get jostled around and come loose from the decoy keel.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:33 PM

I'll have to give the ACE weights a try
Old 12-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Tarred nylon line. Does the line stick to it's self so it doesn't unwind? Who carries it?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:50 PM

Cabelas and I am sure that other suppliers of waterfowling gear carry tarred nylon line. It is not so sticky that it will stick to anything. It is just stiff enough so that it does not tangle easily and holds a knot well.

Quick Reply: Decoy Anchoring Systems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.