Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 building a blind to stay in wetlands? >

building a blind to stay in wetlands?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

building a blind to stay in wetlands?

Old 12-13-2004, 04:29 PM

Default building a blind to stay in wetlands?

I am wondering is there a site or place that would be good to find some ideas for building a blind. I mostly want it for duck and geese, but I might use it for deer too. For deer I would have to face south and for the geese and ducks I need to face north. I am going to use my dog for reteiving so he would need a easy out and a way to see them fall.

Because I am setup on swamp land I need the thing to be water proof. I am thinking of making it out of plywood and then using roofing tar about 3 feet up to protect it. I just have no idea how to setup a blind. This setup will be on my own property, and I would like to build it in the shop this winter so when the ground is still frozen I can drive the truck back there and drop it off. That way also the tall grass and that will grow around it all summer and help cover it.

Just on a side note I have a heater I used on my old Saburban that works off of 12V and I have a extra battery in the shop. Would putting a heater in the blind be a bad thing for hunting? Not sure if the deer or bird would pick it up. I want to set this up for geese and duck first and have the option for using it for deer if I want.

With all of this is the posible to do?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: building a blind to stay in wetlands?

I would set it on 4x6 posts into the ground and build a base like a deck with treated lumber, then finish it with either box style frame or brush or however else you might want it.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:02 PM

yeah would make a good start .... id have some sort of roof ... no doubt ..... maybe make flip down walls on the sides ya would shoot out of ...... paint .... then brush up
Old 12-13-2004, 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

I would set it on 4x6 posts into the ground and build a base like a deck with treated lumber, then finish it with either box style frame or brush or however else you might want it.
I might not be able to put them in the ground. With the DNR or local comunity might ask for a permit because it would be considered a perminent building. But I like the idea and I might just stand it up on some 4x6 that I know will sink in the ground a little but I can show it is movealbe to them if they ask for a permit.

For the roof canis_lupus that is the big thing that I want. Make it a lot easyer in the rain.
I do want to make drop down sites. I want to lock it up when not in use and only give keys for it freinds that I know. I want to put the north side roof at about a 45 deg angle so that when I open it I have a nice shot above my head and upfront.

What I am having a hard time trying to figure out now is getting this setup for Mongo my Yellow lab. He will need to see the bird fall. Then he needs to enter and exit easy mosty with a goose in mouth.

The big problem with my back is that it is flood plains with a water way. So at that start of the season I can have about 1-3 feet of standing water in the back and the creek is at a nice height. Latter in the season it will start to dry out when they open up the locks and the water level drops. So now the water in the creek is very low, but in the wetlands intill the ground freezes it stays wet. I just can not think of a way for a lay down blind to work.

Thanks for your help. I have a little better idea of what to try.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

What about a small seperate platform like by your door on the side so he can see you and still see in fron of the blind???
Old 12-13-2004, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

What about a small seperate platform like by your door on the side so he can see you and still see in fron of the blind???
Hey good idea. I can work that in with no problem. I think I am going to make it a 8'x8' floor and on the right side corner facing the east were most of them fly in from have a 4'x'3 foot section of floor that is just for mongo. A 4'x 5' section will be large enough for 2 people to be in.

Thanks guys now I have a good floor plan in my head. Just wondering are the electic heats ok to use or will that give off a scent for the deers? I would think it would be OK for the fowl.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

As for the heater I'd go with propane, burns clean, puts out a good amount of heat, the catalytic units are quite.