Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Building on Wetlands >

Building on Wetlands

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Building on Wetlands

Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Building on Wetlands

Has anyone had any experience applying for permission to build on Wetlands. I am in the process of purchasing an awesome piece of land except there is a possibility that it will be designated wetlands. It's in the middle of about 2,000 with paved road access. That is a rare find in central Florida. Loaded with game, but I will need to put some kind of lodging, cabin, modular etc. Anyone with any info or experience?
Old 06-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Building on Wetlands

bigboar - it aint easy!! there is a ton of paperwork (both feds and FWC) involved, and you have to provide for a "restoration" afterwards of the wetlands that you "destroyed".

Now... having said that.... dependent upon soils conditions, you may not want a perm structure. It may be too expensive and near impossible to get the necc equip to your building site.

You need to keep in mind that you have to maintain drainage, and should we get another deluge like last years hurricanes, you need to maintain the direction of the flows.

A good friend just went through this process and built an access road through a cypress swamp in NFL on his property. It took him almost a year to do it, and he did cut some corners. But because he provided larger then required culverts, and maintained flow direction, the State looked the other way.

There are several programs put on by the state where they will help you (land and wildlife management programs) and by going through these, you will be shown some shortcuts through the wetlands paperwork.

Most of the wetlands rules were written to protect the land from developers, and the good guys in the state and fed know this.....

Feel free to email me - [email protected] and I can forward you some links to these programs..... I was looking at property outside Frostproof, when it got bought out by some UK investors... bummer.
ps. got the two bottles of tuff tusk this week, can't wait to use them in NFL this summer.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:46 AM

The first thing I would worry about if I were you is can I get a permit for the septic system? If you can't get this most basic need approved all else is fruitless!
Old 06-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Before I spent another cent I would have a wetlands survey done on the property. Then contact the proper agencies and see what you can do either as is or by use of a mitigation swap. Fl. is a tough place to mess with wetlands. They won't hesitate to make you tear out all of your work and restore it to the way it was.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Septic systems is not a problem.... it may require an engineer's design and stamp, but it is doable. There are plenty of systems out there that you could use, some cheap, some not so cheap.

But you definitely want to know your soils conditions.

If possible, dig a hole on the property and watch how long it take for water to perc in. Or if its dry, fill the hole with water and watch how long it takes for the water to perc out.

Note whether the soils are muck or sand or clay or silt, or any combination there of.

When you do speak to the state, this little bit of knowledge will help you.

The state isnt in the market to run people off thier land, if you rampantly destroy a wetlands, you have to realize that there is harm being done to the environment.

I watch how dumba$$ build thier homes in lowlands all the time, then when we get hit with heavy rains or god forbid a hurricane, they wonder why thier house is flooded and thier neighbors houses aint.

Wetlands help to control the flow of water, and help to clean the surface run-offs of any impurities from the roads and/or farmlands. Also controls erosion.

Bad part about wetlands, is the snakes and gators.... but then again, this is florida so where isnt there snakes and gators.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:47 PM

I'd be willing to park one of those cabins that are on wheels and designated an RV. I just don't know how far these environmentalist go in considering it "DESTROYING". I would love to keep it as pristine as I can, but I just want some place to have as shelter on a very small piece of it. I'm not ready to build right now anyway, I just want to see what I can and can't do in the future and how much in fees they will charge me. I'm willing to do whatever paperwork neccessary in the future to obtain this spot. I just want to make sure I can put "SOMETHING" on it!