Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What to do??

Old 11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What to do??

I am kinda new to hunting, but have never tried for waterfowl untill a friend of mine invited me to go with him. I think that my benelli nova will work, but is the 24 inch barrel to small. Cause if i get hooked i will want something that is made for it if the benelli has to small a barrel. Also. What are some cheap goose calls that i can purchase to get going on improving my calling. I really dont want anything that expensive...yet. Also does cammo really matter. I dont have any "waterfowl camo". What i have is what i use to deer hunt. Which is Mossy Oak New Break up. Will that be alright. Like i said this will be my first time. Thanks for any help.....

Steve
Old 11-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What to do??

I would say that your gun is just fine for waterfowl, also as far as camo any is better than none and MOBU is a fine camo IMO. Also any of the flute style calls work great for geese especially for a beginner, I use a big river long honker flute. Good luck!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:05 PM

Your gun should be fine for now but most duck barrels are around 28 inches because of the long distance shots. I'd say as far as calls, Primos calls are tough to beat. Not too expensive and you can find them at any outdoors store. Your camo for deer will work just fine. If you like hunting you'll love waterfowling especially if you get some birds to work. Have fun and congrats!
Old 12-02-2004, 10:14 AM

first of all the gun will be fine .... i started waterfowl huntin with a turkey gun .... if ya get into it ya will end up doing like myself and get ya a better gun .... but be fore warned ya will buyin loads of equiptment ... lol .... stands is right .... primos makes great calls, so do lohman, hs, etc ..... but if ya lookin for a starter flute .... id go with 1 of 2 calls .... i cant member the calls # but lohman has a flute that has a choke system so ya can grow used to using so much air gradually ..... the other would be the big river longhonker .... its easy to break from high to low and needs just a lil backpressure ..... as far as the camo ya already have .... works fur me ... lol .... but ya can always buy sum cheap camo burlap to cover up that blends in better when huntin in diff situtations .... as in ....corns, cattails, etc