Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

why drakes

Old 11-23-2004, 09:14 PM

Default RE: why drakes

drgildy
Rack Buck If the drakes out number the hens, how can the drakes mate with other hens?The way I've heard it a drake mates with a hen, waits until she lays the eggs, and then leaves once the eggs hatch.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:23 AM

food for thought ..... now i agree like i said earlier bout tryin to shoot only drakes if at all possible .... but ...... i dont know how it is where yall are at ... but im sure its pretty much like here .... there are so many refuge areas ... including private land with no huntin, city parks, city limits, state parks, etc ..... that even if we would shoot every hen that came into the spread ... it would take years of doing that to drop the numbers down ........... but im not ashamed to admit i will shoot a hen .... talked to a guy the other night ..... tells me that he went out on the opener (not here in indiana) and the group killed 27 birds .... i congradulated him on a great hunt ..... when i asked how many guns there were .... he says 3 ..... i was like WOW lil over ya limits eh ? .... and he says .... IT WAS AN ACCIDENT .... 9 birds an accident ?? id like to see him explain to a CO how that happened .... lol .... anyhow point being ..... no matter if ya shoot only drakes ... the next guy is more than likely bust the hell outta em on the way round the bend of the river, lake, etc ..... and i know ... ya gonna reply with the ... if everyone had that attitude there would be no ducks ..... and thats true to a degree ..... as long as ya stay within ya limits that are set ... i see nuthin wrong ... thats why we pay all those biologists .... to tell us what we can and cant do ... lol
Old 11-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats crap, people should always stay with their limit IMO, and save some for others. those limits were established for a reason!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Fork Horn

I think that's what canis_lupus was trying to say.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:33 AM

, or skunk.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:38 AM

Sorry, I don't know where the rest of my post went. So I'll just add that I hope all you waterfowlers will support some waterfowl conservation organization like Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl or some others to help maintain the greatest sport of all!