Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

how to approach this?

Old 11-01-2004, 05:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default how to approach this?

Yesterday I walked up on a beaver pond with 12 mallard ducks sitting in there. They look like they got kicked out of the main river and made this there home. I've heard them the next morning, while sitting in my tree stand, quacking back there. I have a brown lab and she is a great pheasant dog. She is only 3 and can't wait to get a duck. My question is how do I aproach the pond? Do I come in before light and set up in a blind off to the side? I feel they will be sleeping right there. The area has no pressure as far as people go. I haven't hunted alot of ducks and i'm not sure how they will react. I would not think they would get up and fly before light. But even if they heard noise? It's a spot that you could only dream of coming up upon. I don't wan't to mess up the first hunt on the spot. Any help on how to come in on them would sure help.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:32 PM

Default RE: how to approach this?

Walk in, flush them and don't shoot. Set up 3 or 4 decoys and get yourself hidden. When they come back in have your fun. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:14 PM

I would do the same as drgildy said. If thats their new home they will come back.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:26 PM

id go in before daylight ....set-up ..... wait til the birds leave then hit em when they come back in after feeding .... sounds like a roosting area .... another thing to keep in mind is .... those birds in there now will go out to feed ... and more than likely other birds (fresh migrators) will hook up with them and follow em home (the pond) .... ya will see that the numbers of birds will raise as the season progresses ..... at least thats what i have noticed here .... another thing to keep in mind also is .... when the pond starts to ice up (if it ices) hunt it in the eves also on overcast days when the birds will come to roost earlier (before end of legal shooting .... how i see it is ... once its frozen ... ya wont be huntin it anymore that season ...in short ... get em while ya can ... but hunt it as long as ya can