Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best Approach to Bad Day.... >

Best Approach to Bad Day....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Approach to Bad Day....

Old 04-05-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Best Approach to Bad Day....

At the range today, I was seriously off. My concentration was pi$$poor, and every shot felt unnatural. The shots weren't horrible, just didn't have that relaxed feel. Is it a good idea to keep shooting to build confidence over anxiety on days like these, or just call it a day and start fresh tomorrow to prevent form anxiety? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2007, 05:34 PM

Default RE: Best Approach to Bad Day....

On those kinds of days I just set the stuff down and come back to it later. If you have the luxury of being able to do that at your range, thats what I would suggest. Go and talk with some of the guys around the store, tell some jokes, whatever it takes to calm your nerves again. Personally if I get like that in the stand I won't even think about releasing an arrow at an animal, sameapplies to gun hunting as well.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Im at a 3-D shoot Ill just keep shooting, just to finish up the course. If Im at home Ill just call it a day, I know I wont get any better that day. If things just arent coming together Ill just stop before I start getting mad or trying to tweak my bow.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:09 PM

IMO you at least have to take a little break if not call it a day, because if you do not, you will just get more frustrated and things will get worse!!
Old 04-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just pack up and retry next day with new attitude hopefully
Old 04-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Gonna use golf again as an analogy....

You can ingrain BAD habits with further practice JUST as easily as you can ingrain GOOD habits.

If you can.....walk away.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

While it may be better at times to walk away, I'm stubborn, and I usually don't have as much time as I used tofor shootingso I have to take advantage of the opportunities I have. If I'm shooting lower than my potential, I will use that as an opportunity to focus my efforts to improving my bad days. That is, I know I won't shoot as good as I can, but I can at least make my bad days better than they are now. This way if I am on the 3d course or in the stand and I'm "not feeling it" I know I can still get the job done.

There are always those days that there is no hope however, and on those days you have to know when to bag it and come back later.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Great post Steelhead. This is one of those situational posts that any of us archers understand all too well.
This reminds me of a situation a fewsummers ago. We have friends who have a set of twin boys who are also friends of my daughters ( all high school age). Any how, a few of their buddies ( actually one is my daughters boyfriend) are bowhunters and got them interested. The dad knows nothing about hunting and they wanted to get the boys bows and gear for Christmas and asked for my help. So I got the boys all set up and taught them how to shoot, set up stands etc. It was really cool watching them soak evrything up like a sponge.
Both the boys really were shooting well. Then it happened.
I was out mowing one day and one of the boys comes driving in. Right away I could tell he was upset. Well, he went on to explain that he had had one of those days that Steelhead talked about. He was shooting so bad, and the more he tried the worse it got. He thought that he had lost all his skill and would never shoot good again. I then gave him the advice that my dad, a very wise man, gave me in my younger years when I had my first bad day of shooting.
That was , as someone else here stated, that the best thing to do is just put the bow back in the case and forget it for the day. Because that is when bad habits will creep in and mess up your form. My dad put it a great way.
He said , " Son, there will be alot of days when you can just about close both eyes and shoot the balls off a fly flying 50 yards away. And those days are great! Unfortunately, there will a few days where you couldn't shoot the balls of a bull elephant standing 5 yards in front of you. Those days stink. On those days, put the bow away and find something else fun to do."
I have always passed that advice on to others whenever they have "one of those days!!"
Old 04-06-2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks alot guys! Great advice as usual! Proffwhat you said isincredibly helpful!
Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Days like that I just pack it in.

Quick Reply: Best Approach to Bad Day....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.