Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

no more motion decoys?

Old 10-10-2004, 05:31 PM

Default no more motion decoys?

i heard from my buddy that there is going to be no more motion decoys allowed in iowa after this or next year. is this true and why in the heck are they doing this?
Old 10-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: no more motion decoys?

HAve heard rumors of such but nothing definite yet. I suppose they are comparing it with the likes of electronic calling.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Well, not sure about Iowa but in Arkansas (where I hunt), they've already banned them for next season....
Old 10-11-2004, 04:21 PM

Dang thats gotta suck. I would miss my mojo duck out there.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:09 PM

Here in Minnesota they ban them for part of the season and then open them for the rest. I have a wind spinner decoy and it is the same as a mojo duck but it is powered by wind so you can use it all season long. And it works just as well as the mojo duck
just my 2 cents

TAKE-EM
Old 10-11-2004, 08:35 PM

maybe if they make them illegal in some places like iowa/arkansas they will be cheeper or alot of people will be selling theirs for cheep? i hope so
Old 10-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

Take 'em, I've seen those pretty good little idea...only problem is Arkie Land decided to ban all spinning wing decoys...even the wind powered or pull cord versions...I haven't noticed that they've been very effective in the past three years down here though...maybe the birds are getting educated as they come down the flyway...or maybe the Juvenille's are getting shot and they are the most suceptible to spinners...either way it doesn't bother me...I'll still be hunting, just with one less gadget on the scooter in the morning....
Old 10-13-2004, 05:27 PM

I have hunted off and on with one the last 3 years and I'm not even taking it out of the box for the rest of the season. Maybe I'm not using it in the right situations but birds now seem to flair more from it then actually come closer. The 1st year using it I could REALLY tell that it helped but it sure has been down hill from there for me anyway. I'm sure it will be just a couple of more years before Minnesota bans it outright anyway.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:54 PM

Here in alaska they are still legal. I have used one and sometimes it worked some times it did not. I Just bought a Jerk cord motion decoy(in cabelas) and have found it as consistant as the electronics. In fact it seems in bluebird weather the ability to choose when the wings move is better than constand movement. When bird are high up circling a pull of the cord seems to make them commit more than constand movement. I suppose spontanious movement appears more lifelike than constand motion. Some Fish and game officials i know dislike the motion decoy because it does work a little better than regular decs some days. I kind of agree because i like a challenge. Any half decent duck hunter can bag a limit with 100's of dollars in decoy equitment. But bagging a limit with 12 regular decs on a bluebird day without a million dollar blind in substantially harder. To many hunters today are concerned on how many birds they got rather than how they got them. The challenge of the hunt trumps birds bagged. The more challenging the better and for that i admire a hunter who bags half a limit using cheap equitment more than one who fills his limit with 3 mojos and and 5 quiver decoys. Consider yourself lucky if you can't use electronic decs anymore because it will be harder to get ducks but your skill and strategy levels will increase because of it.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:24 PM

Kinda a rookie here, only had two seasons under my belt now. My question is: What's a bluebird day?

I live in extreme southern Florida so if it's related to snow it won't effect me but I would still like to know becuase I plan on hunting up north this year. Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: no more motion decoys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.