HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - no more motion decoys?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Kodiak Commando

Default RE: no more motion decoys?

Here in alaska they are still legal. I have used one and sometimes it worked some times it did not. I Just bought a Jerk cord motion decoy(in cabelas) and have found it as consistant as the electronics. In fact it seems in bluebird weather the ability to choose when the wings move is better than constand movement. When bird are high up circling a pull of the cord seems to make them commit more than constand movement. I suppose spontanious movement appears more lifelike than constand motion. Some Fish and game officials i know dislike the motion decoy because it does work a little better than regular decs some days. I kind of agree because i like a challenge. Any half decent duck hunter can bag a limit with 100's of dollars in decoy equitment. But bagging a limit with 12 regular decs on a bluebird day without a million dollar blind in substantially harder. To many hunters today are concerned on how many birds they got rather than how they got them. The challenge of the hunt trumps birds bagged. The more challenging the better and for that i admire a hunter who bags half a limit using cheap equitment more than one who fills his limit with 3 mojos and and 5 quiver decoys. Consider yourself lucky if you can't use electronic decs anymore because it will be harder to get ducks but your skill and strategy levels will increase because of it.