Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

duck eyesite

Old 09-19-2004, 06:11 PM

Default duck eyesite

Been haning around the turkey site, both main and south section. Got started hunting just two years ago via ducks. Hired a local pro to take myself, son and my father out in the everglades for a once in a lifetime experience.

Well, that has turned into a new addiction. since then, I've built two duck boats and carving my own set of "cork" decoys. Land leases in Florida, Alabama, Georgia for deer, hogs, quail, dove, ducks, and my favorite turkeys.

My question is this. Do ducks, have color vision or are they like deer and only see in black and white. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: duck eyesite

Last I knew all birds see color. But im not a duck so i dont know for sure!!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:16 AM

An article written by scientists, that I read said. Waterfowl can see colors and UV so you should use UV killer soap on hunting clothes also. That they can see color is no surprise as the brightest colored drakes are the ones favored by the hens during mating. Also I have raised many species of waterfowl over the years (since 1960) and have seen them react when I put on a different colored coat or shirt when I go in to feed them.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:53 PM

Yep, general consensus is that ducks do see color. But like Carpmaster said, only the ducks know for sure!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 01:23 PM

Yes, ducks see in color and depth.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:57 PM

Yes, they can see color very well. Someone mentioned they can see depth, which is true, but they can't see depth very well. Depth is perceived by where the vision of each eye overlaps. Since a ducks eyes are on opposite sides of its head, it has a small area where it can perceive depth very well. Try covering one eye and estimating distance, its not easy. So, when you have a spread with decoys of all different sizes, a duck in the air cannot differentiate the size difference very well until he sits down next to them.

Instead, ducks have very good movement detection. This is why movement in a spread, such as a jerk cord or robo duck, draws their attention. It is also why they will see you bobbing around in the blind when they are overhead.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:54 AM

Thanks for the informatin fellas. Changed my boats camo set up based on this.

Here's a look at he cork teal decoys that I've been working on.

Close up shot of the body. It's based on eye distorstion(sp).

Now just ten feet back.

Thanks again.