Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 A turkeys eyesite....good read >

A turkeys eyesite....good read

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A turkeys eyesite....good read

Old 07-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A turkeys eyesite....good read

Great article dealing with a turkeys acute eyesite wright here on our site...read this...
http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/articles.aspx?articles_id=558
Old 07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: A turkeys eyesite....good read

That was a very good article...
Old 07-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

I'm avery skeptic of this UV-KILLER product and think this article was written by someone with an interest with themor the saleof it. I wonder if HuntingNet sponsors it on the site or if they pay to advertising on here? I never had trouble filling my archery tag while living in MD; I tried the UV KILLER stuff when it first came out because it was the latest and greatest thing. The very first hunt after applying the stuff I had four deer coming towards my stand. The deer leading the way on a trail right by my stand stopped about 25 yards from me and looked straight up at me in the stand! Without any hesitating, shesnorted and was gone!

This stand location was perfect and in the four years of hunting it, Ihad never beenbusteduntil that evening after using the UV KILLER product. Hunted the same stand the following night but with another set of camos and the same four deer came down the trail.Again, right around the same spotthe lead deer stopped and looked uptowards mystand. Looked right at me and after a long stare down contest, she continued and walked right under me and out to the clover field.A second group of deer that came through 10 or 15 minutes later and headed out to the field the same way. Except that group ended up with one less buddy that evening

I had tried to contacted them about their product several times to see what might was or went wrong or but never heard back from them nor have I ever used the stuff since.

Now I'm no scientist or do I study how animals see things. I do know that I've had turkeys and deerwalk less then 10ft from me and never once look scared or nervous about a glowing blue blob. I've alsobeen a lot of turkey seminar over the years with a lot of well knowspeakers and the topic of what a turkey can see is often brought up. I recall one of themresponding to question like this, "No one will ever know what a turkey can or can't see and until they find a turkey that can speak English!" Because of my pass experience with the so called UV theory and the stuff to eliminate it, I'll stick withthe statement above and wait for a talking turkey or deer

This is only my opinion based on my experiences with it when I tried it. I’m also basing my opinion on the fact that I haven’t used the stuff since then and have killed a lot of deer and turkeys at close range. I'm not trying to start any urgements with my post. I'm just saying, before you jump into buying the stuff and ruin your camos like I did years ago, you might want to look into it more or even run a few test of your own. Who knows? Maybe they spent the last 10 or 11 years refining the stuff and it now works like they intended it to or better yet, maybe they found a talking turkey. Good luck and Hunt Safe
Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to agree... I've had more deer bust me during turkey season than turkeys... The only time I've ever been busted by turkeys was when I moved
Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tom I'm as skeptical as you and like Mr.Longbeard blame my own movements being seen by ole tom turkey.But withthat said I'll be darned if I didn't take my new camos and slip them under a blacklight and was shocked because they did have a slight glow to them.My old stuff didnt.I'm all for doin what I can to give myself the edge afield and have been guilty of spendin to much $$ tryin![:-]So does this mean I'm dousin all my camies when I take to the field,in this case no not because I dont believe the product works or that turkeys can see my glowing camos,its just I dont see the need because of my own success afield.I'll just try and move less!!But if they added a bug repellant on top of being a UV-killer I'd be sold!!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

From an older review article [Hart NS, 2001. The visual ecology of avian photoreceptors. Prog Retin Eye Res. 20:675-703], a quick line in the abstract says it all..

"Birds have five different types of visual pigment and seven different types of photoreceptor-rods, double (uneven twin) cones and four types of single cone."

I think the negative emphasis on UV detection in Nolan's huntingnet article is way over-rated. There are so many objects in nature that emit in the UV spectrum, that paranoia for turkey hunting is just not sensible. I wonder if he's ever taken that blacklight into the forest, and seen how many things actually emit in that wavelength. He'd probably be surprised

Now, for deer hunting, it's a slightly different matter. There are not many UV blobs naturally suspended in the treetops...
Old 07-14-2007, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good read, like it, but I seriously doubt that the UV-KILLER stuff actually scares deer and turkeys away.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer and turkey's have been getting harvested by hunters long before UV killers existed
Old 07-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agreed. I have never used UV killers and have only had deer bust mea few times because I moved, made an accidental noise, or my scent was somehow detected. As for turkey, I've only hunted them for 3 yrs, and have only had one bust me because I shot and missed!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

I thought it was a good article but after reading the other posts I'm not so sure.

Thanks for all the imput.

Spudrow

Quick Reply: A turkeys eyesite....good read

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.