Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

teal decoys

Old 08-21-2004, 12:56 AM

Default teal decoys

Does any use teal decoys regularlly while hunting throught out the season? I looking at picking up a half dozen to throw with my regular mallard spread to add size difference and color.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:35 AM

Default RE: teal decoys

You can never have too many decoys. A few teal decoys especially early in the season usually helps IMO. They will be leaving here real soon at the least the ones that are big enough to fly. We had light frost on the 19th and this morning everyting is white with hoar frost and real crunchy at 6A.m. My dogs were really happy to get out of the kennel and romp around.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:25 PM

i use teal decoys mallards,widgeon,and blue bill decoys all seasion here in oregon.depends on the area we hunt we useup to 3 dozen teal decoys but we put out 9 dozen decoys in certan areas
Old 08-23-2004, 08:07 AM

I heard from an old waterfowler that teal are very wary ducks and if they are around it gives other species a higher level of comfort.

I don't know if it's true but I use them in my spreads regularly and have for some time and although I don't know if it's helped me, I can say it sure hasn't hurt me.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:09 AM

I don't think they are necessary but IMO they do help. All Mallard decoys will still bring in Teal but we usually put a small group of Teal decoys off to the side and it seems like incoming Teal will head for these every time.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

Teal are a waste of shells. Mallards get my vote. I let the teal come and go. We have lots of ducks and geese so I can be picky. If I have to count a bird in my bag limit (6). I want something substantial. Just the meat hunter comming out in me. LOL. I have shot teal in my younger years but I now concentrate on Mallards. This gives me more time in the field . If I shoot anything I will limit out most days in an hour after sunrise. If I limit myself to mallards It takes a few hours. Just my 2 cents worth.