Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

caly pigeons

Old 06-20-2004, 06:12 PM

Default caly pigeons

Does shooting at clay pigeons really improve on your hunting and shooting skills?

Any info. would be appreciated

mark
Old 06-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: caly pigeons

Like they say practice makes perfect!!! The more you shoot the better you will get, just like rifles and bows, it takes work, but it is very worthwhile and fun.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

it sure does. a friend of mine couldn't hit squat for years with his shotgun. i kept on telling him to shoot skeet, shoot skeet, shoot skeet. well, i got a hand thrower and a couple cases of birds. we probably went through 400 shells each over a few months. he finally shot a limit of ducks a few months later. this was the first time he limited out. before, he never even came close. 3 ducks would have been a good day for him.

in my own experience, different shells require different leads. i was using 1200 and 1400 fps loads. to me, the change in lead was enough for a hit or miss, depending on the shell and the lead.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

sure does i shoot every chance i get practice never hurts it only improves
Old 06-20-2004, 08:12 PM

I think it does. I went my first time shootin a couple weeks ago. We shot for about 45 mins and about 40 shells. At the begining i couldn't hit any thing but after awhile I hit a few.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:30 PM

Shooting clay pigeons is a great way to get familiar with your gun. Shooting with a friend helps point out flaws in your shooting also. The number one no-no that I see, is to look up to see if you hit the pigeon. It may not even seem like you are doing it. But you will shoot over the pigeon just about everytime.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:34 AM
Spike

Hey Troutdude,
Shooting clays, as viking says, will help you to get familiar with your (NEW) gun. Especially with a pump, you have to know your gun so the second shot is as effective as the first. It will also help you read the flight of your birds, teach you how much to lead them, and where your gun shoots. Every shotgun shoots different. Pattern your gun using a piece of cardboard, shooting in a stationary position. This will tell you if it shoots high or low. This can be adjusted with tapered spacers you got with your gun. This adjusts the pitch of your stock.
The more clays you shoot will help you to get to know your gun. Good Luck and have fun!!
Old 07-12-2004, 10:48 AM

i shoot every chance i get
Old 07-15-2004, 01:21 PM

I shoot as often as possible I really enjoy the challenge when the thrower is
90 degrees to the shooter and throws side to side the birds seem faster.
We also shooter the smaller clays they are really hard to hit!
Old 07-18-2004, 09:28 PM

In my experience shooting clay defenitely helps improve your shooting ability, but you should remember shooting a clay and shooting a duck are 2 completely different ball games, i know guys who could hit clay all day blindfolded but get them out in the blind and theyre so jumpy and excited they cant hit a thing. so all im saying is remeber what you learn shooting clays when youre shooting ducks.

Quick Reply: caly pigeons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.