Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Almost goose season!

Old 06-12-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Almost goose season!

Less than 4 months until goose season. I've got the neighbor boy practicing his duck and goose calls. He's 12 and hunted once with me last year. He's great fun.
I hired him to work for me this summer and he's a pretty darn good worker.
I've been practicing on my short-reed goose calls but I still can't get them to sound right. Oh well, practice, practice, practice!
Talk to you later.

critch
Old 06-13-2004, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Almost goose season!

Hey critch! We have canadian geese here by the thousands, i never hunted them but i would love to. They stop traffic up here in ohio and everything they are a nuisance! I just dont know how to cook them i heard they were greasy is this true? I have a 870 remington express what load do u think i should use along with a choke? Thanks. Idaho? I Think in for months it should be deer season out there, sheeew forget the geese i would be in a deer stand out there, lol
Old 06-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ohio is an awesome state for goose hunting. well the official countdown for season is still 2 and a half months cannot wait!!! As far as the being greasy, i dont think that they are, i like goose the best if you but a couple breasts in the crock pot cover them slightly with water, add seanon salt, a packet of onion soup mix, a half of an onion, and about 3 stalks of celery in and cook all day, tastes similar to a beef roast, very tasty. As far as loads and choke i like modified choke and premium nontoxic shot. Hevi shot #2, kent fasteel bb's, kent impact #1's, hevi shot bb, and the winchester supreme bb and bbb are good goose loads. Just find a stubble field wheat or oats early season, corn later on, and put out some dekes and call a little and learn from there. it is a lot of fun. Good luck
Old 06-14-2004, 11:28 PM

Carp had some good advice!
You might want to start renting/buying hunting videos. It's never too early to start gettin' ready to hunt. Most of the videos give good advice/tips on hunting geese and ducks.
I wish I had the time to teach every body how to hunt geese. I've been at it for 49 years. Most of the time nowadays I go out alone and just lay in the marsh grass and watch 'em fly over me.
I do have some youngsters lined up to take out this year though. That'll be fun.
The shotguns keep getting better and so does the shot. I love steel shot. It took some getting used to at first, but I finally figured it out. Funny, when steel was first mandatory in Idaho all the fare-weather hunters quit hunting. That was great!! They managed to ruin a few fantastic hunts for me and others before they finally left the field.
This year I'm learning to use the short-reed goose call. I'm going to have the neighbor boy (Luke) join me while watching the instructional tapes so he can learn too. I've never had a good goose caller hunt with me. It'll be fun if the two of us can really get to cranking on the calls.
I have no problem gettin' em in close with my calling but two callers who can coordinate the calls well can make for a quick limit. Then you hunt ducks!
I hunt deer just to get it out of the way so I can get back to goose hunting.
And I've never eaten a greasy goose. It's all in the cookin'. There are lots of good recipes out there.
www.cabelas.com has some good hunting tapes.
I'll try to stay in touch as much as I can to share some experiences, good and bad, to assist some of you young people. I enjoy that.
Good luck.

critch
Old 06-27-2004, 07:57 AM

Hay turkey fan i have the boat ready it starts in sept ill show yah how to cook them geese there yummy we can hunt down the road from your uncles place