Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Bow hunting for geese???

Old 06-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bow hunting for geese???

I want to shoot a goose with my legacy this fall and I was wondering if anyone else has shot a goose or tried to with their bow? If so what worked best for you?
Old 06-10-2004, 08:58 PM

Default RE: Bow hunting for geese???

The first question I have is it legal to shoot geese with other than a shotgun.????
Old 06-10-2004, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there are special feathers you buy for goose hunting with your bow.
Old 06-11-2004, 07:58 AM

I have never done it, but have seen it done. The feathers pse-archer mentions are called flu-flus. These are oversized fletchings the dramatically reduce range. Missing a goose with standard arrow/fletching would of course result in the loss of a perfectly good arrow and perhaps a very angry farmer with an arrow sticking out of his tire next spring. The preferred set-up involves a recurve or longbow for fast shooting, flu-flu arrows and the hardest hitting head you can find, full penetration not being the ultimate goal, but shock on the target.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:59 AM

well if it is legal Flu FLu feather would be the way to go, I would like to see a goose shot with an arrow. If the arrow sticks it might make it hard for th dog to feth it up.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

in michigan you can bowhunt for anything that has a season, and as far as i know a lot of states are the same way. i think it would be fun to try.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen hunters bowhunt pheasnt, pretty amazing. They were all using flu flus so as no to lose their arrows. So I imagine waterfowling would be the same, just don`t do it over wster!

Ron