Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Boats and Blinds

Old 02-28-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Boats and Blinds

I am looking for a new Jon boat and a blind i am going to need room for 2 and possibly 3 i was thinking 12 foot, with a 5 H.P. motor will this do the trick or will i need more. also i will need a blind i have been looking into buying a frame and putting my own grass on it or is it better to buy the whole blind grass and all thanks for the help
Old 02-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Boats and Blinds

For 3 people you will need a 14' minimum, I would also look for a 48" wide. And I would get at least a 9.9 to 15 hp motor. OMC's 9.9 has a nice shallow water drive feature to it.

As far as the blind, it's fairly easy to rig one up with some pvc pipe and chicken wire.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

i have a 1436 and would not even consider hunting out of it, let alone with 2 other people in the boat. if you bought a blind for a 12' boat, you'll probably spend more for the blind than the boat. that's what i discovered when i went shopping online for a blind. boat was $550 and the blinds started around $600. i just use the boat for transit. try duckboats.net for some ideas for building your own blind. you've got plenty of time.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:10 PM

Hey seth07, I don't know how big of water you are planning on hunting but I would get a boat big enough to handle any situation. I had a 17' flat bottom semi V with a 9.9 and an avery blind that I hunted 3 people out of comfortably and hunted some big waters and flats. Just pay attention to Full Draft (amount of water it takes to float the boat fully loaded) and pick the biggest you can afford and fits your hunting situations. I now have a 17' TDB that I love and serves both big and small waters.