Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

auto loader

Old 01-19-2004, 09:17 AM

Default auto loader

i want to buy an autoloader for next season but dont want to spend a fortune on a gun that might get dropped in the water. out of these 5 which one would be a good buy? charles daly-field hunter, mossberg 935,franchi 912,stoeger 2000 or remington 11-87 super mag synthetic. would it be better to have a gun that will handle 3 1/2 inc shells. i have a new 12 ga. 3" bps wood stock that i would rather not duck hunt with .
Old 01-19-2004, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: auto loader

A gun in 3" is enough for duck hunting. 3 1/2" is fine also if That's what you prefer. I only have experince with three of your five. The C.D. is the lowest price of them all. Some have had a lot of problems, while others don't. The C.D. needs to be kept cleaner the most gas semi-auto's. I've shot about 100 round thru a 912. I have not whitnessed any problems wih this gun. I do not hunt with It's owner, so I can't comment on it's field performance. It, like he Beretta Xtrema are "big" guns. One of my buddies had the Remington. It's gone because of the mulitple problems. I have heard a lot of good things about the Stoeger 2000. I think the jury is still out on the Mossberg (too new).
I know you did'nt ask but, If I may. I'd like to suggest a couple of different ones that I have a lot of expenince with. All are semi-auto's in 2 3/4"-3" and go for about $550.00 in the full camo models. Beretta "ES 100/Pintail", Franchi "612", and Weatherby "SAS".

Of the five you listed my picks would be in this order. Stoeger, Franchi, Mossberg, Charles Daly, and Remington.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:51 AM

Stay far,far away from the Daly.I'm running an opinion thread on other sites as to the worst shotgun and the Daly is the leader by a long shot. The Remington also has it's fair share of votes.I have no real knowledge of the Stoeger so I can't say anything about it. I've heard some good reports on the Franchi,but not enough reports to have any real opinion.I've been hearing lots about the 935 lately from those that have bought them.I haven't heard of one complaint yet, nothing but praise for this gun so far, looks like Mossberg has a real winner ."It's a lot of gun for the money" as one gunsmith put it.Another gun to look into is the Baikal MP153,very solid and reliable,many happy owners.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:39 PM

Stay far,far away from the Daly.
I HATE my field hunter Maxi mag pump. it doesnt like to eject shells, it wouldnt hold three 3.5" shells when i bought it(called CD and they told me to take a hack saw to the plug, instead of sending me the proper size plug.) I will not buy another charles daily gun, ever, i learned my lesson.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Why don't you buy a synthetic stock for your pump browning . It would be a lot cheaper than a new gun.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:52 PM

big guy has a point. although duck hunting can be hard on a gun, it isnt real hard to take a little extra time/effort to keep your gun in good shape.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: ncwannabeduckhunter

i want to buy an autoloader for next season but dont want to spend a fortune on a gun that might get dropped in the water. out of these 5 which one would be a good buy? charles daly-field hunter, mossberg 935,franchi 912,stoeger 2000 or remington 11-87 super mag synthetic. would it be better to have a gun that will handle 3 1/2 inc shells. i have a new 12 ga. 3" bps wood stock that i would rather not duck hunt with .
What ur planning to do is great, but if u pay heed to experience then go for a Beretta 303A. It is a superb autoloader no doubt that guns like Remington 1100 are good stuff but still i would say that u should seriously think about purchasing a Beretta.