Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

FIRST DUCK HUNT

Old 12-26-2003, 08:30 PM

Default FIRST DUCK HUNT

I hunted everything in the last 30 years with one exception DUCKS!! I am going ot my first DH in Jan to Ark.

I have a question!

Could someone post a list of items that are are the critical things and maybe even a few luxury's for someones first hunt! The hunt will be guided!

I already hvae a SBE 3 1/2" and having been looking at waders, but have no clue on thickness or warmth !

Please help I'm a serious newbie to this!! what all do I need ? how cold is ti in January in flooded timber?

THANKS
Old 12-27-2003, 05:54 AM

Default RE: FIRST DUCK HUNT

I would recommend a pair of neoprene waders preferably with an outside covered with cordura or some puncture resistant outershell. Then of course you will need some warm, waterproof gloves or mittens with finger slots. Also a good goretex, thinsulate parka and cap. Check Cabelas out they have everything you will need.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:11 AM

Let's start from the inside and work our way out:

1)polypropelene long underwear (water wicking) inner layer to keep dry inside waders
2)Warm pants and shirt (preferably wool)
3)a GOOD wader jac/parka(preferably gore tex for waterproof qualities)
4)Neoprene waders (5mm)
5)Neoprene gloves
6)insulated hat
7)Neck gaiter
8)camera
9)binocs
10)Labrador retriever???

you should not need any calls or decoys as you stated you are going guided.

For luxury items take some snacks, water, coffee and a change of WARM DRY clothes.

This is what I take when late season duck hunting here in Wisconsin and I am sure it would be adequate for Ark
Old 12-27-2003, 12:17 PM

Hey twister360, The temps here in Arkansas vary quite a bit. The temps are forecast to be in the upper 50's for highs and mid 30's to 40's for lows in the N.E. part of the state at least til New Years. But, in the past, the temps can drop to near zero if a cold front moves in. You have gotten some good cold weather advice so far, so thought I would mention to also be prepared for some milder temps. You didn't say where you would be hunting, but if you come to the N.E. part of the state you should try some goose hunting as well. They are plenty thick here. Good luck to you.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:55 AM

Welcome to the addiction twister!

Waterfowl hunting is as good as it gets! Don't get caught up in the "you gotta have $3000 dollars worth of equipment" to be successfull garbage you read about.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Get the waders with at 1000 grams of thinsilate (sp)...........1200 is better. I hate cold feet. I use 5mm neopreme waders.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:13 PM

make sure you have some ducks to shoot!