Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

medium rare duck???

Old 12-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default medium rare duck???

Anyone else out there that eats their mallards or geese (snows and blues), rare to medium rare I'd like to hear from. I also want to know if anyone knows for a fact that this practice would be unhealthy. I've been doing it for a couple of years now with no effects. The mallard breast just melts in your mouth. Would it be the same as eating a chicken breast rare. Something I wouldn't do. I've never really considered the health risks until now. My Dad wants me to fix him some one of these times and he's 72. I don't mind taking the risk, but I wouldn't want to possibly compromise his health. I understand there maybe a health risk in eating any kind of meat rare, but I'm talking undue risk
Old 12-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: medium rare duck???

I`ve been cooking my ducks and geese to just pink(med) for over 25 years. Nothing wrong with it. Just don`t over cook them as they tend to dry out.

Ron

Old 12-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

Not a thing wrong with it. You over cook duck and you might as well throw it away. It gets tough as leather and dries out really bad like rb said. I'm getting hungry just talking about duck!
Old 12-28-2003, 04:21 PM

Don't over cook it, but definitely don't under cook it! A little pink is perfect but to much=[X(].

For a 72 yr old man it might be a little risky seeing as the older you get the less tolerable your body is to bacteria.