Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Best time to shoot

Old 12-19-2003, 06:47 PM

Default Best time to shoot

We have been getting to our hunting spot an hour before sunup.We set up the decoys and wait for the action to start.The ducks don't start flying until 8:00 or 9:30.Who the heck started this stupid rule that you had to set decoys so darned early?
Old 12-20-2003, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best time to shoot

Generally speaking the earlier the better. If in your area they don't fly until 8:00 sleep in, enjoy that warm bed. Wish it was the same in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:47 PM

I think the "old timers" used to think that ducks and geese couldn't see very well at night. My dad thought so.
So, the logic was that you needed to go out, set out the decoys in the dark and wait for first light because low-and-behold here come the ducks!
Ducks and geese can see very well at night.
I arrive at my hunting area right about shooting time. That way I can tell where other hunters are set up, and avoid them. I motor out, locate a food source where I think they'll be that day and set-up. I do quite well with that procedure so I'm not going to change.
Good luck with your hunting.

critch
Old 12-21-2003, 07:31 PM

Thats all I needed to hear.From now on I'm sleeping in.Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-27-2003, 03:52 PM

It worked.We didn't get to our hot spot until 7:10 this morning.It was daylight so could see where we wanted are decoys to set.Two fo us sat down about 20 yards away form the decoys,while the thrid guy in our group looked at us from where the ducks would be comming.He had us move further in to cover.It worked great.Next week we will build a small blind.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:54 AM

I'm always on the water before daylight , but its because theres so many hunters in this area...If you hunt public you'd better be on your spot by three in the morning or you'll be looking for some place else to set up...On private land I get there much later , but still before daylight...Aint nothing like sittin on a log with a good friend or my son drinking that morning cup of coffee and watchin the light creep across the horizon...

RKC
Old 12-28-2003, 07:03 PM

I have a friend that hunts on a public game refuge.He also gets to his spot at 3:00 am.He has asked us to meet him at the refuge,so that we could control the pond he hunts on.None of the guys I hunt with like to rub elbows with other hunters.We will take a bad spot on the river and try to make it work for us.Maybe thats why the birds we get to shoot at come in so late.We have had more action between 9:30 and noon then my son inlaw ,who gets to his spot before daylight an is done hunting by 9:30am.Most of us are in our late fiftys or early sixtys,and have always been up before daylight to get to work.This is are first year of hunting ducks.I sure wished I would of had the money to have tried this sport out twenty years ago.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:51 AM

I get to my spot about 45 minutes before first light. This gives me time to set my dekes and have a cup of coffee!

Both my spots present good shooting oppotunites early in morning. After about 8:30 or 9:00 the shooting all but stops. You can pick up a single here and there but thats it. So if you're not there early, you're out of luck.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

River hunting around here, the ducks tend to fly a little later also.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:30 AM

Well recently I have been getting up at about 4am and getting into position and set up for about 5:30. This way I can shoot them when they start flying about, at about an hour and an half before dawn. Because of this they are keen to drop into any decoys and the sound of my call goes further!! Also I can get home with a couple of braces of ducks and sometime geese before the day really begins!!!!

O yea I live in England so im not actauly braking the law shooting them so early!!!!

Tomy D

Quick Reply: Best time to shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.