Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Broken Tail?

Old 11-30-2003, 02:43 PM

Default Broken Tail?

This weekend I took my Labrador out hunting for the very first time. We were out for 3 days hunting all day each day. We got home last night and Poacher (Our Lab) was running around the living room and he was holding his tail at a rather odd angle. The base of the tail was being held up (Maybe 3" ) but the reast was drooping down. My father and I both can' t remember the last time during the trip when he had held his tail straight up like he usually does. He won' t let me touch it to try and see if something is wrong...

To my question(s) -

Could his tail be broken?

If it is, how serious is our situation?

What can I do to figure out whether it is or is not broken?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:34 PM

Default RE: Broken Tail?

I had the same problem with my lab last year. It all likelihood, it is not broken. Probably just strained/sore. My labs tail got better very quickly. Give it a few days and if you don' t see improvement, get him/her to a vet
Old 12-04-2003, 11:44 PM

Our labs do that when their constipated. Truly!
Give him a couple of days and a little bacon grease with his food. It'll shine his coat too.

critch
Old 12-06-2003, 04:52 PM

My lab had a similar thing happen to him last year and early duck season this year. I did a little research on the net and came up with a thing called "cold water tail" Check it out on any search and you will be able to find someting on it.

Gooch