Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Interesting hunting story

Old 11-03-2020, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Interesting hunting story

A while ago, I took my first male mallard. When I took it, I was complained at by some other people who were not hunters. They could’ve been anti-Hunter, they could’ve been just scared because of the gun shot, I don’t know. Yesterday, I called Idaho Fish and Game about the situation. Told them everything. They had me verify if the spot I was hunting was a legal hunting spot.

Using the the map of Lake Lowell, provided by the deer flat national wildlife refuge, showing the boundaries of hunting areas, I figured out I was in a legal spot.

I also was aiming nowhere near those people. If I was facing at 12 o’clock, the people would’ve been at 4 o’clock 150 yards away, and I was shooting a male mallard at 11 to 10 o’clock.

According to Idaho Fish and Game, I did everything safely, and I did everything legally.

They also gave me instructions on what to do if people start to harass me for hunting and calmly talking to them does not work.

So, it was an interesting situation. However, I handled it properly.

It just makes me a little mad that people get on my case for doing something that I have a legal right to do.

Anyway, I just thought I would share this story. It was an interesting situation, but I handled it well.

i’ll post a picture of the male mallard in a little bit.

Jared
Old 11-03-2020, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Heres the male mallard.

Jared
Attached Thumbnails Interesting hunting story-img_0617.jpg  
Old 11-03-2020, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Nice sized bird there J.

The public, especially the non hunting public, doesn't understand our way of living and what we are doing. They don't understand that most of us put safety first, that hunting is by far one of the safest outdoor activities, that hunting dollars have helped game more than any other source of money, that we value wildlife and wilderness and everything about it.

Because they don't understand they tend to criticize. Best thing you can do is keep doing things right, and be a good representation to those people.

Sounds like you did everything correctly.
Keep on keeping on

-Jake
Old 11-03-2020, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Nice sized bird there J.

The public, especially the non hunting public, doesn't understand our way of living and what we are doing. They don't understand that most of us put safety first, that hunting is by far one of the safest outdoor activities, that hunting dollars have helped game more than any other source of money, that we value wildlife and wilderness and everything about it.

Because they don't understand they tend to criticize. Best thing you can do is keep doing things right, and be a good representation to those people.

Sounds like you did everything correctly.
Keep on keeping on

-Jake
Thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate you telling me all this. On a different subject, I don’t know if that’s a nice sized Mallard or not. It was 2 pounds empty weight when I finished cleaning and plucking it.

Before I started cleaning it, it was about 2.8 to 3 pounds.

I actually think thats small for a male Mallard. What do you think?
Old 11-03-2020, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

its getting to be a pretty crowded world with a lot of folks that have there own views on what THEY think is OK or not, never mind what the laws says!
and these groups seem to grow larger and larger every yr as populations grow and expand
hunters getting harassed is nothing new, but it is happening more and more often based on things I see, hear and read!
All one can do is just like you did, handle it within your rights,, MAKE SURE you know where your at is legal before pulling a trigger or setting up to hunt, and talk to officials afterwards if people show up and cause you grief.
Its sad, but it again is happening more and more often, its just a part of life in this modern world sadly ? and I fear it will only get worse!
all the more so due to hunter numbers dropping all over and them anti's that seem to be growing!